Signicase for iPhone 4 (Review)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Austin M., May 14, 2011.

1. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I am a huge sucker for aluminum and wood iPhone cases. I have only reviewed a few selections of wood style cases, like the iTimber and the Evouni Natural Wood Pouch, and I think its time to get back into it with another wood iPhone 4 case review. Signicase's new wood case for the iPhone 4 is nothing short of cool. For a very long time I have wanted to get a custom case for my iPhone 4, no matter what material it is. Even though my version of the Signicase is not engraved with my own personal stuff, some of the camera engravings on the back look nothing short of sexy. That being said, are these wood cases really worth the money, or would you be better of sticking with Miniot and iTimber? Read on for the full review of the Signicase wood case for the iPhone 4 to find out.

As always, let's take a look at what's included in the packaging with the Signicase as well as what it actually arrived in. The Signicase arrived in a very small green envelope shipped directly through Hong Kong. After opening up the package I found a few goodies with the Signicase. You get a very nice matte screen shield, the case itself, and a microfiber cloth. In case you were wondering, I will have a mini review of the screen shield at the bottom of the page in case anyone wanted to use this in conjunction with the case.

Let's get installation underway as we always do. The Signicase is a two part slider style case. Now, Signicase does mention that the case does work with screen shields, and while that was true to a certain degree, I found that some thicker shields were not compatible due to the fact that the case was so tight fitting. That being said, I did not have any problems installing the case on my iPhone and the Signicase glided on smoothly without any screeching or scratching.

Now that we have installation out of the way, we can begin the tour of the case. Starting at the top you will find two openings for the sleep/wake button and the audio jack. The sleep/wake button was pretty hard to press due to the recessed cutout and I found that most headphone cables do not work due to how small the opening is. The volume rockers and vibrate switch were also difficult to access due to the recessive nature of the cutout. There are two good things though, the speaker and the mic are perfectly cutout and the dock connector is pretty wide so it should work with most third party dock connectors. I would also like to mention that there is a cutout for the camera and the flash that have surprisingly had no flash issues even with the keyhole shaped cutout.

As far as the design and the quality of the wood go, they are both fantastic. The craftsmanship of the Signicase wood case for the iPhone 4 is pretty good and despite some small cutout issues, everything else seems to be precision correctly. You will also notice a laser engraved camera on the back that looks absolutely fantastic on the back of the case and is engraved very good. The cool thing about the Signicase is the fact that you can custom engrave on the back with your own text and graphics.

Now, I would also like to do a quick review of the matte screen shield that is included with the case. I am not going to go into installation since I have explained this many times before and you can find my procedures in all of my other reviews. The shield does go out all the way to the edges of the screen and even though I got the edges, FaceTime camera, and the speaker grill lined up perfectly, the home button was not cutout perfectly. Also, since this is a matte screen shield you will find that it degrades the quality of the screen by a little bit. That aside, the protector does do a very good job resisting fingerprints and does not a lot of cleaning down.

Overall, the Signicase is a pretty good case. If some of the cutouts can be fixed and maybe have a raised edge over the screen to enhance shield compatibility, then the Signicase could easily hold its own against some of the other wood cases available on the iPhone 4 market today. With an asking price of only $35 dollars, the Signicase is also a great deal. You can pick up your own over at their website and at their Etsy shop, both links will be below.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Born Again macrumors regular

3. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Huh?

4. svenn macrumors 6502

5. chrisbetty macrumors 6502

first thing that popped in my head when i saw the case was Ooooooo :) I really like the wood case there,I saw a few wood iPad (1st Gen.) cases when i was out in San Fran a few months ago and wish i had an iPad or else i would've bought one :) THanks for posting

6. topbuzz12 macrumors newbie

7. polzii, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

polzii macrumors 6502

Here is a review for the SIGNIcase Zebra Wood case for iPhone 4
    Click the Pics for BIGGER images.

[​IMG]

The SigniCase Zebra Wood case for the iPhone 4 is a handcrafted, light weight (weighs just 22 grams) case made from eco-friendly "zebra" wood. The zebra pattern is laser engraved onto the wood surface.

[​IMG]

I really love the looks of this case. Ive been testing out the case for about a week and have received several compliments. The case has a smooth finish. If you look at the photos, you would expect a ridged surface. The "ridged" look, however, is achieved by laser engraving, and hence, the surface is actually very smooth (which is not ideal for grip).

The case is very flimsy. It came with a warning saying "Do not use protector film on the back or it may crack the case" (something to that effect). Not exactly confidence inspiring. During installation, I tried to be very ginger, since it felt like the case would crack if I pushed too hard. The case did install easier than expected and the fit is very snug. I did have to be careful during installation since I did not want to bubble-up my screen protector.

The case provides a very healthy front lip which was a welcome surprise. Great lay on the table design. While this case provides good scratch and bump protection, I would not be very confident dropping it. I fully expect the case to crack into several pieces if I drop it on a hard surface. I believe the iPhone would be protected in such a scenario, but due to its flimsy nature, the case itself would not survive such a drop.

[​IMG]

As you can see in the pics above, all ports are extremely recessed. The case is compatible with both AT&T and Verizon iPhones due to the way the cutout for the volume buttons and mute switch is done. I did have issues access the power/sleep/wake button. A small detent is provided where your index finger would rest naturally when you hold the phone, but the button is still fairly recessed and one has to dig in with one's index finger to fire the power button.

Using third party charger cables is out of the question. A dock can be used provided you install a dock extender.

Overall: A beautiful case that is a bit flimsy but provides good bump and scratch protection. The zebra wood design is very eye catching.

Rating: 3/5
    Price: $40 shipped
    Available here: Amazon.com, SigniCase.com

More pics below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]