Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2005
I am looking to buy an iMac. There are some deals and offers that expire on September 25. For example: ipod mini with education purchase, same as cash with 'apple credit card', $100 off printer... What is the significance of this date? Should I wait to purchase until after September 25? I dont care too much about the ipod mini, I will probaly sell it on ebay. Will they be enhancing something in the iMac or introducing something new? I can wait a few more weeks. I am looking for the best value. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
it's exactly 9 months after christmas, or 3 months before, depending on how you look at it. also exactly 2 weeks after september 11th.

but i think those two things have no bearing on the apple promotion. i agree with clayj that it's to do with the paris expo.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The iMac probably won't be updated at the Paris expo, so if you are sure you are gonna be buying an iMac and buying it soon, you might want to go ahead and get it to take advantage of the promo, but there will certainly be SOME new product announced at the Paris expo, so you might want to wait too.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Even if they were an iMac update, knowing Apple it would probably be a really stupid update like a .1Ghz faster processor :p

rama

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
hey, i am under the same dilema. I have decided to put off buying the iMac till the next update, which if not by end of september will be before chirstmas...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
rama said:
hey, i am under the same dilemma. I have decided to put off buying the iMac till the next update, which if not by end of september will be before chirstmas...

There is no way of knowing when the next update will occur. The iMac was updated on May 3rd. According to the MacRumors Buyers Guide it's at Mid-cycle. With Apple there is no way of knowing for sure. The previous update cycles have varied.

You should purchase a new iMac when you have a need.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
BlizzardBomb said:
Even if they were an iMac update, knowing Apple it would probably be a really stupid update like a .1Ghz faster processor :p

Hey, one rumor has the PowerBooks getting a whopping 0.03 GHz speed increase. (From 1.66GHz to 1.7GHz.)

And if IBM's info is correct, then the new dual-core procs will top out at 2.5GHz, which means we'll probably be back to the days of 'dual slower than single' machines. (Back when single-proc G4 was 733MHz, but dual was only 533.) Admittedly, two dual-core procs are the equivalent of four procs, so four 2.5s are probably still better than two 2.7s.

Of course, the delay could have been waiting for IBM to actually make available a 3GHz proc.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
It's my Mum AND Dad's birthday...

They were born on the same hour, same day, same month, same year just 1000 miles away from each other and ended up marrying each other (still married, 28 years later).

I'd say that's pretty significant.

Other than that.. it's when the Apple expo Paris ends.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
Sept 25 is um well...

sweet jesus it's a Sunday, the lords day... or wait yeah i also think i coincides with Paris expo..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.