Significant performance difference between 2.5 & 2.6 Penryn ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by preset, Mar 6, 2008.

1. preset macrumors newbie

preset

can anyone give me any idea whether I need to pay the extra "bucks" and go for the 15" 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or stick with the 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 15" base model.

Its a £160 pound difference here in the UK.

Would I see a significant performance difference?

I'm gonna be using the MBP with a VJ application for live video projections.

2. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I dont think you'd see any significant performance increases - depending on what you were doing, if it were very processor intensive you'd probably pick up a few seconds here and there but nothing I'd consider to be significant (or noticable in most cases).

3. preset thread starter macrumors newbie

preset

many thanks Hls811 for your comments,much appreciated :)

4. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I'm kinda surprised Apple didn't push for a bigger jump in the processor speeds, like 2.5 and 2.8 or something...

5. ivicyrusivi macrumors newbie

i cant remember what site it was (ill try find it and post it up later) but the 2.6 benchmarks were showing similar if not slightly lower speeds then the 2.5 - very wierd if u ask me (they prolly botched up thier tests lol)

but needless to say IMO the extra £160 isnt worth it, its mostly a brag factor! hence i went for the 2.5 :)

6. preset thread starter macrumors newbie

preset

so the info on the MBP order site:

"To enjoy the greatest possible performance for processor-intensive tasks such as video rendering, gaming, and more, you can upgrade the processor in your MacBook Pro from the standard 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo to an even faster 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo."

can be ignored..

Thanks , I'll save my £160 and use it for an external HDD.:D