Significant Shortages on New iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Johnf1285, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

2. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

3. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Can't wait for pre-orders or when it will be on sale for the 27" top tiered model. I definitely won't allow myself waiting patiently like the 15" rMBP release. This is the machine I truly desire and I'll make certain I'm one of those early adopters that receive it on time. However, I hope Apple's quality control will make these iMacs perfect in every way, especially the display, so I won't have to experience irking issues like the rMBP.

Oh and Apple's website is on maintenance so maybe we can see the 21" finally available for sale?

4. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Well, the Chinese workers are working their fingers off producing them as we speak, so hopefully I'll be able to get my 27" by early January. I'll order ASAP when preordering becomes available.

5. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I hope there aren't many QC issues.

It would be an amazing surprise to see the 21.5" up for pre order... Or both iMacs. I think that would be somewhat wise for Apple to get a feel for the initial surge of orders. But I think they have a pretty good idea. Or at least they better have an idea they are a the worlds richest company!

When does the store usually come back up? 8am EST?

6. MacMiguel macrumors regular

This is a never ending story... I'm waiting since Juny and I can't see the moment to get a 21.5" iMac.... shortages, delays.... this is kinda joke

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

God damn it. Will have to get our orders down straight away.

8. VassilyTheSkin macrumors newbie

Yup, my finger is on the trigger. I want mine so bad after limping along with a 9yr old Win laptop

9. MacDouble macrumors member

Wow, Haswell release in march and we will get our "new" iMac with Ivy Bridge perhabs end of december or january... I think I will wait for revision B.

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

They waited this long to make an Ivy Bridge iMac, doubt they will make a Haswell one straight away.

11. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Only if you believe Intel's dates.

Mind you, I'm quite confident that the first threads complaining of old technology iMacs and a lack of refresh will be starting the same time they start to have regular supplies of this new model.

12. smithfield11 macrumors member

when do we reckon preorders

So when do we reckon preorders will be available? November and december or earlier?

Are we thinking the delays are due to the graphics chips only just being post production so production of actual imacs probably jsut started this week. There's probably a bench in china somwhere with a line of imacs finished but for graphics chips waiting to be screwed in.

13. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think the preorders will be early or mid month, but expect the shipping dates will slip out to 4 weeks really quickly. I don't think it's the GPU, I suspect they still have problems with the screen lamination. That's why smaller models are a month ahead of the 27"

14. smithfield11 macrumors member

maybe

Not that the graphics chips in the 27 inch are the ones only just released....? Could be both of course.

15. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

How long can you wait?

Haswell isn't a big deal for desktops anyway. It's focused on mobile. And it's more likely to be released by Intel around July, and show up in an iMac around August/September.

16. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

At this point, the waiting isn't as bad because we know what to expect once it becomes available. And as far as BTO options and pricing goes, we all pretty much have a round about idea on that too.

I guess the one last question is whether or not that screen is glued to the chassis. How disapointing would that be? I want to order as soon as possible, but I also want to know what the story will be. It would really be nice to know that years down the road I can put in my own SSD without much trouble.

But then again, years down the road from now, isn't the next latest and greatest thing going to be released? Why not just get that and say to hell with trying to upgrade an All in One ?