Signing contract in store (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by waveslider, Dec 5, 2007.

1. waveslider macrumors newbie

I've just been to Carphone Warehouse to buy an iphone, which I intend to unlock to PAYG then eventually to Vodafone when unlock is available

they said I need to sign a !8 month contract at point of sale, then when I activate over itunes decide which monthly amount,

I told them it was for my Dad therefor didn't want a contract in MY name, they told me to bring him in, or do a change of ownership later on.

Is this standard or did I look like an unlocker ??

Is it better / easier to buy of o2 or Apple?

Your help is appreciated

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I walked into the Apple Store with my girlfriend and bought 4 between us. God knows what CPWH are doing, but even O2 aren't making you sign a contract. Order online from Apple, or go to a store :)

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

that piece of paper they make you sign means Zilch, but I would reccomend staying away from CPW if possible and go to O2 or Apple...

When you sign up on iTunes you sign up in the persons name you want the contract to be in, don't worry about what CPW say, like most vendors about most products they really don't have a clue about what they are doing.

Edit: Just read that you intend to unlock... Don't worry about CPW you don't give them any bank details or information like that in order for ayone to charge you a monthly amount, so don't worry about that, but yeah, for hassle free time head to o2 or apple.

4. skp574 macrumors 6502

I bought my iPhone from CPWH last week. I didn't have to sign an air time agreement in store. The sales person said that they just sell the phone and you activate it yourself with O2 through iTunes. The only thing I had to sign was a disclaimer about returns as they are different for the iPhone compared to any other handset they sell. Make sure you read these carefully before signing if you think you may return the handset. You do not get the normal 14 day cooling off period which I discovered.

Be aware about the Watchdog article aired last week as well. I nearly fell into the trap of being mis-sold insurance. Don't feel pressured into taking out insurance, shop around.

If your phone gets lost or stolen you don't need to take out a new contract with O2 and continue to pay for you old one, which the CPWH salesperson was trying to push on me.

As another poster said, if in doubt, go to an O2 store or an Apple Store if you've got one near you.

5. Barry Scott macrumors newbie

I can vouch for a simple buying experience at O2 - though I think by the way I breezed in and went right up to him, the shop assistant knew I meant business. "I'd like to buy an iPhone please." said I - "Okay sir, I'll get one from the back. Would you like insurance?" he replied. "No thanks" I say. "Okay, no problem - if you'd like to come over to the till". Easy.

6. zetsurin macrumors regular

Yes, as others have said, the paper you sign at CPW is just a statement saying:

"If you don't like O2 or Apple's terms, then screw you you aren't welcome back at CPW as we won't take that iPhone back from you unless under exceptional circumstances".

And also the part which states that you will activate in 7 days translates to this:

"You will activate within 7 days as we at CPW want to make sure that pr1cks like you are out of our hair and into O2's hair as quickly as possible".

As such, since CPW are adding ZERO value to the sale, I would recommend going to either O2 or Apple if you can help it at all. I bought mine from CPW purely because I thought it was safer to buy from the 3rd party but in reality it's not the case.

Again, it's not a contract or commitment that can be enforced on you, it would just be thrown in your face if you tried to return your phone (however I feel that is a violation of your statutory rights anyway).

7. waveslider thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies, good advice to go to the O2 store,

I went in and purchased iphone today, no hassles, no paperwork, simple

cant believe CPW told me it was a contract, Oh well their loss :confused:

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Bought mine from the O2 shop last week and my Wife's from CPW yesterday simply because it was easier to get to in my lunch hour. CPW staff were fine to be honest and were at pains to point out you don't need to get a new contract if you get your iPhone nicked ;)
    The lady behind the counter seemed genuinely embarrassed by the recent "publicity" on Watchdog (can't say I blame her!), and on the subject of insurance, she just said "do you want any insurance with the phone" and when I said "No, Thanks" that was the end of it!
    They do make you fill a form in that basically says you're going to activate the phone onto O2's network and as that's exactly what we were going to do it didn't bother me at all to sign it.
    Happy with my purchasing experience in both stores, and we're both delighted with the iPhones, even if the bank account's taken a hammering in the last week ;)

9. unlockmyiphone macrumors newbie

Don't Buy From CFWH

Wouldn't buy the phone from CFWH, if you intend to Unlock it. They sat me down and gave me the 3rd degree, all the while tantalising me with a cellophane wrapped IPHONE in its shiny new box. Then after the interigation, they presented me with a piece of paper to sign, with loads of terms and conditions and small print. Say away and get it online from Apple.com or the 02 store.