Signing documents using new larger touchpads

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DAMAC3, Nov 21, 2016.

1. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

Strange question for anyone who has had time with the new Macbook Pro line. I care nothing about the Touch Bar. I am interested in the new line because of the portability and the size and presumed sensitivity of the new Touch Pads on the 2016 Macbook Pros.

I use PDF Expert all the time. I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and an iPad Pro. I have also used Xodo Docs on a Surface Pro 4. I am trying to have one device for my needs and prefer to use a Mac as I am deep into the ecosystem. I don't want to carry around 2 devices if I can help it. I'm not going to get into all my needs on here, but I do need a device that I can capture client signatures on for sure. That is a deal breaker. Can anyone tell me if the sensitivity and size of the 2016 Macbook Pro Touch Pads would allow me to capture a good signature? I do not mean scribbles. I need it too look as much like pen and paper as possible. Honestly, the Surface Pro 4 has been the best device by far because I must have a full OS to run different software for work. I also use Excel often and definitely need the full version and not the iPad version.

So please share if you have experience using the new Macbook Pro touch pads for this. Thanks!

2. DAMAC3 thread starter macrumors regular

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I don't think I've ever seen a touch pad be usable for signature-like things, not because of size and sensitivity, but because the device drivers don't give you anything comparable to a tablet-style absolute addressing mode. If your pen leaves the pad at all, the trackpad doesn't notice or care that you started touching it somewhere other than where you left off. It just reports relative motion from where you touch it.

4. altaic macrumors member

Agreed, touchpads are garbage for signatures. If it was a mini touchscreen, fine, but that doesn't really fit with typical laptop use. Maybe Apple will figure out a way to make that good and release something, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Better to take a picture of a signature or use automated signature capturing camera software, a la Preview's signature annotation tool. Or better yet, an iPad Pro w/ Pencil (don't know if there's decent software for that though).

5. DAMAC3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies!

The iPad Pro is quite good at it with the Apple Pencil (and PDF Expert), but I am trying to stick to one device. Unfortunately the iPad Pro doesn't quite cut it as my only device. Its too bad because I do like it a lot.

I have tested out signatures on the touchpad of the Macbook 12. It actually isn't terrible, but it is too small.