Signing for delivery (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by siulum, Jan 11, 2008.

1. siulum macrumors newbie

I am planning to order an ipod to be delivered to my university address. All of my mail here goes to my college's central address, so I won't be able to sign for it, but if the guys in the lodge could sign for it then all would be fine. I read that people have been able to pre-sign for their packages in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342988), but wanted to check if this is possible for all carriers, particularly those in the UK?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've had a number of Apple computers delivered to work. The Mail room were able to sign for them and deliver them to my desk without issue.

3. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

I had my passport delivered to work and the receptionist signed for it... now that's what I call data security :-s

4. mrock macrumors member

When I lived in halls of residence (UK) I always had packages delivered to the reception and they signed for it no problem.

5. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

at my uni people get their packages delivered to the hall office...they sign for it..and we pick it up whenever we can. i have seen it done for laptops (although not apple laptops) but i think they're not too fussed.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You're best off ringing the courier in question, as they seem to have different policies.

I know for example that Citylink will refuse to have anybody but you sign for it (at least officially, although they're known to just do it anyway), but Parcelforce are quite happy to leave it somewhere if you notify them beforehand.

Ring the courier and see what they say.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Really? Me and my colleagues get stuff delivered to work via CitiLink all the time and it's never been an issue getting the mail room to sign...

8. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Because I work at home and I'm a bloody nice bloke, nearly all my neighbours have their deliveries made to me. There's never been a problem with CityLink or any other carrier.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

They've refused to let a neighbour sign for a package when I rang up to ask if it was acceptable before.

I try and avoid using Citylink wherever I can, they're one of the most troublesome couriers I've dealt with.

10. mrock macrumors member

I don't think Citylink like delivering to an alternate address if you're out (as with most couriers IME) but they shouldn't have a problem with another person signing at YOUR address (in this case, your university).

I think Apple use UPS in the UK anyway.

11. siulum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the very helpful replies, I've just placed my order and checked the box for "my shipping address is a business address" (turns out this option was there all along...) so that they can leave it in my college reception.

Now, the agonising wait...