Signing off AIM?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Philberttheduck, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

I can't seem to find out where to sign off AIM. I can't seem to turn off EDGE, so I'm fearful that the time I leave it on will give me a giant bill for unnecessary data charges. or am i charged via the txt message rate?

2. The General macrumors 601

1. You have unlimited data, so even if you were signed on and it were using data constantly it wouldn't give you a crazy large bill.
    2. AIM doesn't run in the background, the reason you are still signed on is because AIM didn't tell the AOL servers to set your account as "signed off" when you quit the application. So it is not running in the background, and it is not using data, even though you are technically signed on.
    3. Instant messages are not SMS messages. You can send an instant message to a phone number, this still does not charge you for a text message, thought it may charge the recipient. Nothing YOU do from the AIM app will make SMS charges show up on YOUR bill unless you instant message your own cell phone number which would be pointless.
    4. To set AIM to sign you off when you close AIM, go to your iPhone Settings app, scroll to the bottom and you will see AIM, change "sign off on exit."

There you go.

3. Philberttheduck thread starter macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

I don't have unlimited data, as I removed that package, and I read this:

Just needed some clarification.

4. metman787 macrumors member

if you go to settings and scroll down you will see aim go into those settings and just turn on sign off when aim closes.

5. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Unblessed phone users (non-iphone) have IM apps that use SMS on them rather than having a data plan. The native iPhone AIM app uses data instead. I checked my bill, no SMS fees.

6. The General macrumors 601

Sucks for you, but like I said, the program isn't even running in the background so there is no data being transferred at all.

That is for non-iPhone users who have crappy SMS-to-AIM service things.

They are not referring to AIM for iPhone.

This myth about SMS and AIM for iPhone has already been busted.

7. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

To stay logged into AIM, press sleep, not home. If you just put it to sleep, it will stay connected and you will hear new messages coming in for as long as you dont hit home.

8. dranakin macrumors 6502

But then...we can't use any other function, or can you hit sleep first and then go home?

9. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

What's the point of having an iphone without a data plan?

10. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

you can go to home from the app for a little bit then open aim back up to get your messages... but after about 5mins the AOL Server signs you off.

In Sept. there will be push notifications so you will always be online and always know when you get a message....