Signing up for developer account under 18?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by nick1516, Apr 30, 2010.

1. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I was looking at signing up for the developer account with Apple, but it says you have to be 18... How should I go about doing it? My dad is going to pay for it so do I just put it under his name and when I turn 18 later this year will I be able to put it under my name?

2. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

You will need an adult to sign up for you and use their name, address, ssn, tax information, ect... You will not be able to change over the name of the account once you sign up. This is from personal experience when attempting to transfer an account Apple would not allow it (at least with an individual account).

I'm under the assumption that after the contract expires at the end of the given year that you may be allowed to change the information or you might just need to create a new account.

If you will be turning 18 fairly soon, you might be better off just holding off a little while before you sign up and just use the simulator to test your applications.

3. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Yeah, not until December :eek:, and I wanted to make sure that I had the latest sdks and information to help me as I have just started learning programming and I have already made this my senior project for next year(which I need to graduate), that I would make a game and get it on the app store :eek:

4. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

Non-Beta SDk's can be downloaded with just a basic free account. And all the information is also out there for free. Only limitation will be testing on an actual device and submitting it to the app store.

Given that it's for a school project and depending on the time line you could just have one of your parents sign up. Apple doesn't necessarily care who makes that App (or their age), just who is legally responsible for the account.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'd be a little leery making your project contingent on getting the app on the App Store. You just never know with the App Review Team...

6. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Since I get to design the actual project and what I have to do(it has to get approved of course) I might make it to where I just need to get it working on a device, and then after that as a bonus or something getting it accepted lol;)

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. On a device: part of the project. On the App Store: bonus points! :D

8. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I was going to start another thread but I guess I should just ask here, is it reasonable to think I could get a working game within one year with no previous programming experience? I'm willing to start working now, and I will be taking an AP computer science class next year, is this still too unreasonable and I should try and find something else to do?:confused:

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Depends on the sort of game. Basic stuff like tick-tack-toe used to be set as problems in 1st year CS classes. If you mean a complex first-person 3D shooter than I'd suggest thinking again. There is clearly a point somewhere between the two where it stops being realistically feasible...

10. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

This is dependent on a few things... When is this project due? If its for 2nd semester next school year then you could get it done, first semester might be pushing it. As the previous poster said it depends on the game you want to make. The last application I made was a fairly simple 2d game but it took 4-5 months (giving it abut 1-2 hours a day of work since this is a part time thing for me and not a job).

Another thing, do you know a programing language already and better yet do you know Objective-C? If not, that would set you back awhile, with the proper book(s) you could learn a good bit of Objectve-C over the summer (enough to be functional). Then once you know Objective-C you can move onto learning Cocoa Touch so you will be able to know how to deal with User Interface classes.

11. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Yeah, I currently don't know any programming languages, but I would definitely be willing to put in the time to learn one over the summer. And I think it's due late 2nd semester.

I don't know what I would make, it wouldn't be anything 3d, just 2d, I had previously thought I would make a tower defense game, but it seems like there is a lot of those right now some I'm still deciding.

12. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

A couple last questions(for now :p) for my timeframe, should I try and learn C and then move onto objective-C, or just learn objective-C? For a 2d game, would it be best to use cocos2d? If I used the cocos2d engine what would I need to learn(objective-c, cocoa touch, c)? Thanks again.

13. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

It's been debated endlessly if its better to learn C or Objective-C first. Personally Objective-C was my first language, I taught myself without prior knowledge of C (Programing in Objective-C 2.0, was the book I used).

I use cocos2d for the games that I develop, it's powerful and fairly simple. The game engine is also very well supported. It uses strictly Objective-C...

Cocoa Touch is just a framework written in Objective-C to work with UI elements supplied by Apple.

14. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

So if I was using cocos2d, I wouldn't need cocoa touch, due to features built into the engine?

15. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

No, but a book on iPhone Development would not only talk about Cocoa Touch but also teach you how the device and its features work (GPS, Accelerometer, Touch Screen, ect...) and guidelines for developing for it.