Signing up for Google Maps API

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Bostonaholic, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

I have an idea for a web app I'd like to start working on. It will be a mapping app that I'd like to utilize the Google Maps API. Problem is, to sign up to use the API I need to give them the domain of the site. I don't yet have a name nor do I have a registered domain. How can I begin working on this project?

2. jo0 macrumors regular

just create a sub domain off your matthewboston.com site for temp use. im sure you can change it later, but it would get you access to the api and let you get started.

if thats not an option i have a db of about 200+ domains im sitting on and i could lend you one or a sub domain if you needed for temp use.

cheers.

3. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

just to add, though it might be a slight time saver in the long run, you don't actually need a domain name, the form will accept local addresses too.

If you turn on web sharing in system preferences, it'll provide an address you can use,

alternatively, I'd just install something like MAMP, since that address will remain constant. Unless you're constantly working in the same place, the web sharing address will change and you'd have to generate a new key

4. Bostonaholic thread starter macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

I use MAMP for my own website development. So in the Google Maps API I could put in http://localhost:8888/ and it would work? Up until I publish to a separate webserver?

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Unless somethings changed that I'm not aware of, it should work.

And yes, once you publish it, you'll need a new key.

6. Bostonaholic thread starter macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

Awesome. I will try that tonight