Signs of a faulty GPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonnyD108, Nov 10, 2014.

1. JonnyD108 macrumors newbie

Just picked up a brand new Mid-2014 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina (the one with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M).

After a few days of video editing, I started to notice some sever artifacting while I was working. This specifically happens whenever OS X switches over to the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

I took some screen shots (http://imgur.com/a/AbCR5) whenever the artifacting occurred.

Are these signs of a faulty GPU? Should I just return it and get a new one to be safe or is this a common/known issue with this model?

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Whilst some people have reported issues with the rMBP's graphics on Yosemite, this definitely is far beyond what I would expect.

If at all possible I'd try to get it repaired / replaced.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Get it replaced under warranty, that's not normal.

4. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If it shows up in screenshots, it looks more like an OS install that somehow got corrupted.

Clean-install OS X.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That does look like something wonky is going on. Since its a new machine, I'd take it back and get it replaced.

7. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I have a 2012 15" rMBP 2.7/16/768 and it has happened to me on a few occasions. It only happens in Safari and no other applications. It's happened to me in Mavericks and Yosemite so I suspect it's to do with the hardware. Once I refresh the screen, it's all good again. I don't worry about it - I've got applecare for another year. :)

However, your situation seems much worse than mine. :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JonnyD108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses!

I'm not going to take my chances with dealing with this in the future. Just going to take it back to Best Buy and exchange it for another.

And I'll be sure to extend my AppleCare just in case it is a common issue with this model of MBPs