Silence button has a life of its own...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nickhutson, May 17, 2009.

1. nickhutson macrumors regular

Hello! Occasionally my iPhone will turn itself onto silent mode and then back on to "normal volume" mode. Also, when I sometimes press the top left of the screen, it will act as if I've activated the silence switch. I've turned the phone on and off a couple of times - and done a restore through iTunes - and the problem still happens sometimes.

It's a tad annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem, and can anyone recommend a solution?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Genius bar.

It's blazingly quick at fixing most defects.

3. nickhutson thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. Made an appointment. Knowing my luck, the phone will be working fine by the time I get there!

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

If you have any sort of video recording capabilities, take a quick video of the defects and take it with you as evidence just in case.

I've had that happen and I know how frustrating it can be.

5. nickhutson thread starter macrumors regular

It's fixed itself now - so I've cancelled the appointment - and now there are no more spaces until Tuesday! So... if it happens again, I will take video evidence (thanks Lostprophet) and go and see them again.

Do you think they'll replace the phone. Of course it begs the question - shall I just wait until next month/July?

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I had my first phone replaced for this reason. I couldn't get the phone to do it at the store, but I explained it to them and they said another guy was in earlier the same week for that problem. So they replaced it.

8. EricJD macrumors regular

I had a wonky silent mode switch on my iPhone, and they just replaced the whole phone at the Genius Bar :)

9. nickhutson thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought I'd update the story and say that the Genius Bar was very friendly tonight - and gave me a new phone (and by new I mean refurbished). It's all set up and working perfectly now (after a few niggles with mobileme!)