Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Is there a way to silence my Mac from ringing when I get a phone call due to hand off? I really don't need to my Mac ringing when I get a phone call. If I'm in front of my Mac then I will see the visual indicator a call is coming in.

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
This would be a great option for the Mac side. I would definitely submit feedback/feature request on this, but since I'm not touching any of the iOS 8 betas, I haven't had the chance to test out Handoff.

allenawatson

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Silence Hand Off Ringing?

I have iOS 8 and Yosemite PB4. When a phone call comes in on my phone, my Mac also starts ringing; good. I answer the phone call on my phone, but the Mac continues to ring, endlessly, until I click on either Accept or Decline on the Mac. It will ring for hours if I am away from the room and don't hear it...

Is this a bug? Shouldn't the Mac stop ringing when I answer the phone?

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I have iOS 8 and Yosemite PB4. When a phone call comes in on my phone, my Mac also starts ringing; good. I answer the phone call on my phone, but the Mac continues to ring, endlessly, until I click on either Accept or Decline on the Mac. It will ring for hours if I am away from the room and don't hear it...

Is this a bug? Shouldn't the Mac stop ringing when I answer the phone?

Both my iMac and iPad will ring for a few seconds after I pick up on my phone, it's never been endless. As for muting, I'm curious as well but have found nothing outside of muting my iMac when I'm away.

SufferingIdiots

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
This is pretty obnoxious. Surely there must be a way to silence the ringing?!

Its especially annoying if you choose not to answer a call on your iphone by silencing its ringer. The Mac will continue ringing with no way to silence it, forcing me to decline the call.

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I will submit a bug report. Maybe they can implement a toggle before it is released.

jaknudsen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Oslo, Norway
I answer the phone call on my phone, but the Mac continues to ring, endlessly, until I click on either Accept or Decline on the Mac. It will ring for hours if I am away from the room and don't hear it...

The same thing is happening with my Mac. Anyone found a solution?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Search for custom ringtones in the Yosemite forum, use the same procedure to insert a custom (silent) ringtone in your Facetime on the Mac.

jaknudsen

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Thanks for the tip. I've seen that solution, but that's really treating the symptom, not the problem. I've reported the bug to Apple, so hopefully it will be fixed in the near future. But thanks anyhow!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Thanks for the tip. I've seen that solution, but that's really treating the symptom, not the problem. I've reported the bug to Apple, so hopefully it will be fixed in the near future. But thanks anyhow!

Of course it is but it can be done right now, causes no other issues and is reversible :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.