Silence notifications when playing music?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nermal, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is there any automatic way to silence notifications when listening to music? It's a bit jarring when I'm listening to music and an email comes in; the volume decreases, the notification tone plays, and then the music returns to its usual volume. This is also frustrating when I have the phone connected to the TV for watching videos.

If I use the mute switch then the volume doesn't change, the notification tone doesn't play, and the phone simply vibrates. That's almost perfect. The problem is that I often forget to unmute the phone afterwards and then I tend to miss messages.

Is there any way to "auto-mute" the phone when it's playing music or video, then return to normal afterwards?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

That's the way I do it.
    The thing is, why would you miss messages, if they can show up on the lockscreen? (even with the text hidden)? Or did you disable messages on lockscreen?

I believe it's an "all or nothing" thing. I haven't heard of any Cydia tweaks for it neither.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I miss messages because at work I'm often at my desk but not facing it (talking to customers, etc). I'm not sure why I miss the vibration, but I often do!

4. AmazingGraceTx macrumors regular

AmazingGraceTx

What about Do Not Disturb? Would that help, maybe? Or maybe airplane mode?

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can you enable Do Not Disturb automatically when playing music?

Aeroplane Mode will be even worse; I won't get the messages, calls, etc. at all, rather than just not seeing them come in. I need something that can be disabled automatically because when I have a customer or phone call I'll pause the music but won't unmute the phone because I'm expecting to return to it. But that doesn't always happen.

6. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I don't think so.

I think you might be SoL then, unless some tweak comes that does it (and you are jailbroken) or... maybe it could be available on iOS 7.

7. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, it doesn't look like this is possible :(

NotiQuiet requires a jailbreak and it seems that there is no "official" way to do this.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Correct, no official way to do this, unfortunately.