Silence the Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jakesaunders27, Jun 23, 2015.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi All,

Off to buy an Apple Watch Sport at the weekend and a quick question about the sounds and notifications. I run events in a Hotel and when dealing with clients I don't want to have the watch making noise and showing notifications in front of clients. Is there a way I can silence the sounds and just have it and vibrate or something until I look at it and then it lights up? Is that possible?

Cheers
    Jake

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Setting is one of your glances. There is a mute icon there.

3. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Perfect thanks mate! Can't wait to get it!

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Sure. You have to mute the watch in the watch app on the iPhone under sounds.

Edit: Looks like it's on the watch too.

5. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Also, regarding the screen, does it only light up when you turn your wrist or is it every time you get a notification it lights up no matter where your wrist is?

6. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Pretty sure it lights up when you get a notification. Odds are, you will have to find the setting for airplane mode. There is a settings icon on the watch and on your phone.

7. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

The screen turns on when you angle the Watch towards you to look at it, or you tap the screen, or tap one of the side buttons. It doesn't turn on when a notification comes in for privacy and to save power.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Interesting. I never really paid attention.

9. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

The only time the screen lights up is when you raise your wrist or you press a button or the screen. Even when you have a call coming in it will vibrate, but not light up. However, if you tend to talk with your hands I could see the screen lighting up when you don't expect it to, regardless of whether you're getting a notification or not. But there is a setting to turn on the activation on wrist raise, which then requires a button press or screen tap to activate the screen no matter what.

10. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Perfect, just what I wanted to know, much appreciated!

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What bugs me is that (1) this setting is only on the watch, not in the iPhone watch app, and (2) its buried some layers deep inside the menu. I want it in the settings glance alongside mute, dnd, and airplane mode. That way, I could toggle "raise wrist to turn on" quickly, for example if I'm at a theater watching a movie and don't want to disturb other people.