Silent alarm

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rlong405, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Rlong405 macrumors member

Is there any way of setting up a silent alarm on the watch without having to remember to turn the whole watch on silent before you go to bed and then back off silent when you wake up?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Schedule Do Not Disturb to activate at a certain time at night and disactivate at a certain time in the morning, and that'll get mirrored to your Watch. Your alarm will still sound.

Unless you're thinking of a different solution?

3. Rlong405 thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking for the alarm to make no sound but I do want it to produce vibration haptic to wake me up. Would do not disturb achieve this or would that kill the haptic too?

4. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

If you are wearing the watch then simply having it on mute will mean that you get a haptic notification only. I have used this several times, but not to wake up (I don't wear my watch when I sleep).

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I haven't tried this -- I keep my watch on mute all the time -- but what happens if you create an alarm and set the sound to none?

6. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

It will vibrate. My watch is on mute all the time and I use it as my wake up silent alarm each morning. Just like any timer on mute. Works just like other devices as your silent alarm.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But OP doesn't want to keep their watch on mute, hence the question.

I'm not talking about muting the watch, you can create an alarm where the sound is "none."

8. zaquinho17 macrumors regular

zaquinho17

I believe you can select the sound to 'none' as mentioned by @Night Spring

Im currently downloading OS2 B4, so i can not give you a definitive yes

9. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I have not been able to find a way to change default sounds for things like alarms on the Apple Watch, and Googling it hasn't turned up any solutions. If you know how, please share.

I keep my watch on mute, but I'm curious so I tried to see if I could use the iPhone to set a silent alarm on the phone that would vibrate only on the watch even if the watch has sound enabled. So I enabled sound on my watch and created an alarm on the iPhone (iOS 8) set to "None" to see if it would trigger a haptic-only notification on the watch. Both iPhone and Watch have sound enabled and iPhone alarm set to none. The result? Both the watch and the iPhone displayed the alarm, but neither device made a sound or a vibration.

So then I tried setting an iPhone alarm with a sound, but put the phone on silent. Of course alarms in iOS ignore silent mode and ring anyway (unless you turn your ringer volume down to nothing). Regardless of how you set the volume on the iPhone, in this situation the watch will make sounds unless you have the watch set to silent mode.

Perhaps Apple will allow for more sound and alarm customizations with Watch OS2, but I bet there are third party alarm apps that will let the OP customize alarms for silence without putting the watch in silent mode.

Sean

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, I don't know of a way to set a no sound alarm from the watch, I was thinking of doing it from m the phone. And thanks to your experiment, we know that won't vibrate the watch. Oh, well, so much for that idea. :(

11. Rlong405 thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm glad it's not just me trying to solve this little problem.

This is for my gf. She had a Fitbit which gives her a rash on her wrist so she moved to Apple Watch. One of the things she really liked about Fitbit was the silent recurring alarm (and I did too cause then she didn't wake me up in the morning). Obviously Apple Watch will do this but only if on mute meaning she has to remember to toggle mute each day / night.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Many members keep it permanently on mute and prefer it that way. She can try that approach.

13. Rlong405 thread starter macrumors member

I'll get her to give it a try and see if she likes it. Thank you.