Silent Clicking gone 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beerglass007, Nov 5, 2016.

1. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

On my 2015 MBP 15" I can enable and disable silent clicking under settings/trackpad

Its a horrible noise when enabled

Now try this on the new 2016 13" you can't the option isn't there ??

The noise of the new trackpad is horrible and sounds like a cheap £15 trackpad used, why can't we turn noise off

2. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. shadow82x macrumors 6502

Appears you can't.

"You can turn off the sound of your trackpad's click by selecting Silent clicking.
    Silent clicking is not available for the built-in trackpad on MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), and MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)."

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204352

4. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Which is awful as the sound on the new trackpad is horrible....

Why have Apple done that I wonder ?

5. keviig macrumors 6502

I find this odd too. The sound it makes is really cheap. Reminds me of a sound some $100 plastic laptop would make, rather than the premium glass and aluminium laptop it really is.

6. Wackery, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

Wackery macrumors 6502a

7. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

just to be sure : it doesn't make a sound with tap-to-click on does it ?

I never actually click trackpads

8. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

it clicks just when you press down. tap to click is fine, silent.

9. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its horrible and a real shame they couldn't keep the silent feature.

10. paaj macrumors member

paaj

No experience with the force touch, but isn't it supposed to vibrate and thus inherently make a sound? Or is there also a fake extra sound from the speakers or something?

11. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Then it seems perfectly fine to me then. When you don't want to hear anything or feel anything you tap to click like normal.
    Whats the problem here?

12. jonnyr78, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

jonnyr78 macrumors member

On the RMB with force trackpad you have a very gentle noise if you force clicked (it was never 'silent') now it is a cheesy simulated noise, the gentle one gone. In the past you had an option, now you don't.

13. Gualwer macrumors regular

Agree with you 100%. It's awful. I'm also not happy with the sound the keyboard makes. I think it clicking sound it definitely louder than previous keyboards.

14. Wackery macrumors 6502a

there's no reason for it to not be an option, besides apple making an arbitrary.

15. SteveJobzniak Suspended

SteveJobzniak

The MacBook Pro 2016 has an AWFUL keyboard:

(watch 14:00 and onwards).

The 13" model (maybe the others too) also has a problem where if you use a high-bandwidth USB-C device it slows down or kills the WiFi connection.

Wtf.

16. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

This has been discussed in details in other posts, Look up the wifi post, this is a USB 3.0 problem , not an apple problem

17. anzio macrumors 6502

I'm sure that's a relative opinion.

That's a little concerning, but I'll wait to see if it's a real world problem. Will be interesting to see if it affects the 15" model.

18. SteveJobzniak Suspended

SteveJobzniak

@anzio: Did you listen at 14:00 onwards in the video? The keyboard is so loud and has a nasty clicky sound.

As for the USB issue, you can see if between 00:00-14:00 in the video. He plugs in a camera device and a hard disk and they kill his WiFi. He shows it happening several times, consistently killing his WiFi.

@hj576: Okay. So this USB issue is not fixable? Does it affect the 15" model too?

19. hj576 macrumors regular

hj576

@SteveJobzniak
    From what people have posted in the other post regarding this. The drop in wifi signal is due to poor quality USB 3.0 devices.
    They interfere with 2.4 GHz Wifi signals. Cheap USB 3.0 devices have no shielding hence interfere.
    If you had a better quality one, it most probably wont.
    Google USB 3.0 interfering with wifi.

Though this is all based on what people researched. I think it must not be that big of an issue, if it was, a lot of people have gotten their hands on the device and we would be seeing a **** storm of people complaining. The fact its not in mainstream media, means its not that big

Though the first thing I plan to do when my Macbook Arrives is to test it with the USB-c Dongle i ordered, if it drops WiFi signals, I will most probably return the device. Perks of 14 day free return

20. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

Who even types like that? He is literally raising his fingers up super high and slamming them down. I typed on this macbook pro and the macbook a few times over the last year and its perfectly fine. slam down on something that super shallow and it will make a loud noise of course but people don't type like that in real life.

21. tob! macrumors regular

Yeah, I typed on the new keyboard and I noticed immediately that it is really loud.

22. Rkuda macrumors regular

Rkuda

The keyboard should make mechanical keyboard users happy :p

His typing is so over dramatic and hilarious, but also ridiculous since he always placed the new MacBook on top of the other when when typing. How about try typing with the computer on the desk instead of stacked on another computer?

The dropping wifi issue has already been mentioned here so don't need to go over that.

I have watched this guy before and he seems to have an axe to grind against Apple so i'll take what ever he says with a grain of salt.

I seriously doubt his ability to choose decent adapters since he can't seem to purchase any adaptors that aren't cheap no-name ones.

23. Meicyn macrumors regular

Meicyn

Oh thank god. I was a bit concerned for a moment there.