Silent cool macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by canhaz, May 9, 2013.

1. canhaz macrumors regular

I currently have a 8,2. I7 based MBP. Radeon GFX. Purchased last year.

It constantly runs hot, fans go between 3500-6000 rpm. GPU throttling kicks in in Clamshell mode with Thunderbolt display.

I want to throw it in the bin I'm so pissed. Can anyone recommend a MBP that is.

- Matte screen
    - Dead quiet and doesn't overheat
    - Never has CPU or GPU throttling and always fast.

Does this exist? I cannot for the life of me think why Apple doesn't undervolt/underclock these things. Throttling is far worse than 10% less clock in terms of performance.

I should add FWIW: I've had Apple look at it. They find it's "in spec". Thermal paste re-applied etc. My previous MBP (2008) was also hot and noisy. It's just bad engineering decisions.

2. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Hi what version of Mac OS X are you running? I had horrible issues with ML updates made it some what bearable than I decided to put Lion on it. After I Lion on it, not only was it running cooler but less resources were being used.

3. canhaz thread starter macrumors regular

On ML, same problems with Lion though

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What temperatures are you running. My rMBP averages about 35c, maybe 40c.

My prior MBPs have not been terribly hot either.

What apps are you running, perhaps they're particularly demanding causing the fans to ramp up.

Since heat issues are across the board for all users I don't think its an engineering or design issue otherwise we'd all have that problem

5. canhaz thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm on the high end MBP 670m gfx card as that is the only one available in matte :(. Most people probably go with the cheaper MBP hence not as widespread reporting.

Temperatures range from 65-70 (idle - no CPU) to 85-90 doing intensive stuff (encoding a movie etc).

Unfortunately i7 and 670 are probably contributing to the heat. I shouldn't have to worry about what apps I run though.

Most of the issues are when the dedicated gfx card is engaged with the TB display plugged in. The worst is when trottling occurs. I run smc to look at the p-values and can see that it kicks in. This causes the whole machine to feel unresponsive and put me in a bad mood as I have a sluggish $3k machine doing hardly anything intensive.
    (browsing the web etc)

The irony is I dont even want dedicated high end graphics, or a fancy i7. However apple forces this on me for wanting matte screen.

95% of what I do is browsing, email and code. And most of the time doign that, my machine is a throttled noisy sluggish piece of ****.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the rMBP which has the 650m GPU, but does use the i7 as yours does. I'm not sure of the 670m is the cuprit but since everything else is equal its either the GPU or perhaps an issue with your laptop.

Did you try to bring it to an apple store for them to look at it. I agree idling at 65-70c is way too hot. You're basically 2x hotter then my rMBP.

You can try re-applying the thermal paste if you've done this in the past and are handy enough to disassemble the laptop, personally, I'd see what apple says first.

7. canhaz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help. but like I said in my OP, I've done both those things :(

Also, are you running it in Clamshell? 80% of my issues go away in normal "Laptop" mode and temp range is 50-70.

8. negativzero macrumors 6502

This is your problem. Clamshell shuts the holes at the back of the MacBook so your MacBook can't expel hot air as efficiently as it should.
    Plus when you're using a TB display you're forced to use the discrete card, which causes the MacBook to run at higher temperatures.

9. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Not so- it just shifts it so that the system vents from the bottom instead of the top of the hinge.

10. negativzero macrumors 6502

Hardly. If you see how the MacBook is vented at the rear, the air is pretty much trapped and when you use clamshell and crank the fans up manually, you hardly feel anything.

11. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

That almost sounds like a hinge out of alignment. I cycle my old MBPs to desktop roles after I replace them (and after the 2nd battery dies) and the only one where it had any noticeable impact on temperatures or airflow was the first one (2006 model).

12. phoenix78 macrumors member

clamshell mode does trap more heat. Its been a long time since i have run this way so i forget exactly how many degrees it increases by.

If you want to reduce temps significantly I would suggest an upgrade to an ssd if you dont have one already. I have a mid2009mbp13" and i put a samsung 840 pro in it. My temps have dropped significantly. It idles at about 45C when it used to run over 50-55C idle before. Even under load my temps are not too high but the temps drop down quickly when load is removed.

13. canhaz thread starter macrumors regular

14. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The retina models do have a bit better cooling because of the large intake vents at the front.

In general the 2012 models run cooler than the 2011 models because the Intel Ivy Bridge and NVidia Kepler architectures were big improvements in heat output.

16. canhaz thread starter macrumors regular

The Intergalactic Confederation of Worthless Replies says so, of course.:rolleyes: You're fine it seems, but some of us aren't.

Thanks, that's good to know (I missed the boat by going with Sandy Bridge). :(

With the new Haswell's and Mavericks (suspend bg process) tech, hopefully it will be a non-issue. Thumbs crossed for a 15" MBA, or a alternatively a 15" MBP without dedicated graphics.

Another option I've been considering, is to splash out on a Mac Pro (Apple is marketing as being whisper silent) and run two devices with data syncing. Bit of a mission though and will no doubt burn a hole in my pocket.

Speaking of which, in the meantime, I've handed over $300 for a pair of these Bose noise cancelling headphones.

They work really well to block out the fan noise, though can be fatiguing for long periods.

17. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

But that's precisely my point. You do realize that many of those who aren't "fine" complain as if it's a universal problem. It's not. And I would go as far to say that for many, the complaint is irrational and a pursuit of something that is much closer to subjective than objective.

18. Manda macrumors regular

Manda

I would love to know where you got a MacBook Pro with a 670m as they don't do one the top end model only has a 650m. My MacBook Pro is matte and has a 650m.

19. canhaz thread starter macrumors regular

From the Apple store :). I think you might be somewhat mistaken, check here for more info. http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...4-15-late-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

----------

mm so a rather disappointing Apple event Tuesday. The new Mac Pro is $3k and only comes out in December. Pity they did not announce a MBA 15" and no word about a matte display option.

So one path I was now considering is picking up a a Mac Mini to use as my primary desktop.

Does anyone know how this will perform in relation to my MBP (i7 Late 2011)?

A final option, was to go a hackintosh route, but that seems like a major PITA.

20. leman macrumors 604

21. canhaz thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I see! Yes what a difference one digit makes. Thanks for pointing that out.

22. Manda macrumors regular

Manda

I see you have the 2011 late mac so it's AMD rather then nvidia that makes sense now.

23. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

the new rmbp iris only version still has the same cooling setup meant to dissipate 90W TDP but only has to cope with 45W TDP, so it should run very quiet even under decent load.