"Silent.dms" downloaded by itself - virus?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Martynas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Martynas, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

Martynas macrumors newbie

Hello, today I've opened Safari browser and logined to my OneDrive account. Then I saw three automatic downloads, three "Silent.dms" files.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 20.25.30.png
    Kaspersky did not find it malicious. FYI, yesterday I made a OneDrive shared folder with some people who could download images. When I check that silent.dms file (Get info), it says Where from: https://a.lw.skype.com/login/silent...143&_accept=1.0&_nc=1507310125143&partner=999

2. nambuccaheadsau, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Do you really believe Kaspersky?

They download PC virus definitions base and search for PC viruses is all. Have you tried opening it?

3. newuser10 macrumors newbie

Could I have you zip the file, and upload it somewhere for me to analyze?
    I've just heard rumors about it now, and would like to get to the bottom of it.

4. Navetp macrumors newbie

Navetp

Here it is, just had the same problems

Attached Files:

5. hamadooo macrumors newbie

hamadooo

Hello
    My computer downloaded the same file twice when I was checking my Outlook email. I am sure I didn't press or accept anything. I tried to open the file but I couldn't, it says the file extension is not supported or something like this.
    Please let us know if you have any idea about the content of the file!

Thanx!

6. Jordzzz macrumors newbie

The exact same thing happened to me tonight. It downloaded twice from my hotmail email, more specifically when I was emptying the junk folder. I didn’t open it and deleted it straight away, permanently. Would be interested to know what it was though.

Thanks!

7. Martynas, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

Martynas thread starter macrumors newbie

I still have this file. I've tried to find more information but almost without a luck.

By the way - Kaspersky antivirus scanner from App Store found Heur: Trojan.Script.Generic. I downloaded a trial version of Kaspersky program, scanned that folder and now it did not find it.

Attached Files:

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you want to get rid of those files, do this:

1. Download EasyFind. It's small, free, and easy to use
    2. Open EasyFind.
    3. In preferences, set normally-invisible files to be VISIBLE
    4. In the search box, enter "silent.dms"
    5. On the right, make sure your entire drive is selected to be the searched drive
    6. Let EasyFind reveal all the silent.dms files
    7. Delete them.
    8. In the finder, empty the trash.
    9. Done.

9. Elbow2017 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip Fishrrman. Any idea what the files are? Same thing happened to me the other day: logged into Outlook mail on Safari and a silent.dms file automatically downloaded. Opened an unsuspicious message and another downloaded. And then another. Think there were three or four in the end. Today they no longer appear in my downloads folder. Googled 'silent.dms' and this seems to be the only mention on the internet. Apparently a .dms file is an old format from the days of Amiga computers. And according to Martynas' link from the 'Get Info' action on the file, maybe it's to do with Skype? I'd also just downloaded Skype onto a new Mac. (Unless, from a paranoid perspective, Martynas is connected to the silent.dms files we've been seeing, and that link is a plant, so when people like me receive the suspicious download and Google search a solution, we end up clicking on a dodgy link!).

10. eiskaktus macrumors newbie

I had a similiar problem.

When I was entering my hotmail via Safari browser, a file called "silent" of type "TextEditDocument" with size 0 Bytes was automatically downloaded onto my mac. I then went to Google and kicked on a link, and the file was downloaded again. Nothing has happened afterwards.

Is this malware?

11. PK3546 macrumors newbie

I also had this happen to me today and so joined this forum.

My computer downloaded two 'silent.dms' files and one called 'MsaCallback.dms' if that helps anyone.

12. hamadooo macrumors newbie

hamadooo

Hello everyone. I contacted Outlook about the issue and received the following answer:/

Outlook Support
    October 14, 2017, 11:05 +0000
    Hi Hamad,

We thank you for your patience and apologize for the ordeal you are currently going through. Your case is escalated to Research Team and my name is Uttam and we will be glad to assist you on this further. From the issue description, I understand when you access Outlook.com from Safari, 'Silent DMS' file gets downloaded automatically.

"Silent DMS" is the file which generated from the Apple device. I suggest you to make sure that your apple device is up to date. Once you have updated the apple device, then try accessing https://outlook.live.com/owa/?authRedirect=true through different browser and device and check if 'Silent DMS' file gets downloaded again. If the issue persists then, I suggest you to install the EasyFind app from the apple store , which will help to find the all files which are related to silent.dms and delete them all.

Please follow the steps mentioned below;

1. Download EasyFind from Apple store. It's small, free, and easy to use
    2. Open EasyFind app from Launchpad.
    3. In preferences, set normally-invisible files to be VISIBLE
    4. In the search box, enter "silent.dms"
    5. On the right, make sure your entire drive is selected to be the searched drive
    6. Let EasyFind reveal all the silent.dms files
    7. Delete them.
    8. In the finder, empty the trash.
    9. Done.

Looking forward your reply.

Regards,
    Outlook.com Research Team

13. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Now what did I suggest in post #8 up above...? ;)

14. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I don't see this doing anything I couldn't do on my own.