Silent Hill: Shattered Memories(Wii)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Apr 3, 2009.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats right Wii/Silent Hill Fans we have a "re-imaging" on our hands and a brand new Harry that looks like Chris Prillo(sp) from Call for Help. From what I've read it seems to be completely absent of combat and just puzzled/Exploration based....interesting.

Did I mention its a "re-imaging" meaning they WILL BE CHANGING THE BASIS FOR SILENT HILL

The Good: All doors can be open in the game/Some of the original team from Team Silent is shouldering the project along with the master mind behind the music...yayy
    The Bad: See bold text.
    Middle Ground: If you are a Silent Hill fan and don't own a Wii.....Sucks for you.

Bless

Attached Files:

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

It's always a good thing when a Wii game is announced that's not being outsourced as cheaply as possible.

I'll buy, but as I've never played a SH game, I won't know if the experience was for the better or for the worse.

At least this won't be an ON-RAILS re-imaging... :mad: :(

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Has to be better than home coming which was only alright.. Too much emphasis on fighting, and yet another survival horror game trying to be an action game but with controls & camera that just do not suit that style of gameplay

Actually control in all the recent 'next gen' survival horror games has been sub par (RE5/Alone In The Dark/SH : Homecoming / Siren) bar Dead Space which seemingly got it right.

4. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Dead Space isn't a Survival Horror game... it has a horror motif but it's pretty much an action game, think Doom III.

RE5 has limited control but it makes the game feel tense and the survival part is definitely there (maybe it changes later on with upgraded weapons but the first part on Veteran felt pretty survival to me). RE5 is almost exactly the same as RE4, which was also pretty action focused, Resident Evil 4 started the whole action-oriented horror thing 5 years ago :) and for some bizarre reason people are complaining about it now.

I'm not sure a game where you can't be attacked could be tense in any way, I also don't see how it could ever be a "survival" horror game. They have to build an incredible atmosphere and great moments so that you feel on the edge of your seat all the time.

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

DS not a survival horror? :confused: OK, it's not the best at doing so, as I rarely ran low on supplies, but it's litterally RE4 in space, and RE5 is RE4 HD. So if RE5 is a survival horror, so is DS. :)

I really didn't think Doom 3 while playing DS -- but it has a bit of it. The game wasn't on par with System shock 2, but it felt like they copied so much from that game -- which was a good thing.

6. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I would class it as SH because the slow paced action, atmospheric setting and actually trying to survive the unknown with a limited amount of weapons which DS had plenty of so 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

I'm hoping they take advantage of the Wii's control set up and not make this into a point and click game having the player check every nook and cranny of the room. I think if they use a cover and some sort of hiding mechanism to avoid confrontation it could work like the PS2 game Haunting Ground.

Bless

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Edit: nevermind, thought there was rumours of this coming to the PSP.

Might get this. I loved the first Silent Hill game, couldn't get into later versions as much. They never scared me (survival horror doesn't) but I loved the atmosphere of the first game. I hope they can accurately recreate it without making it all "next gen-y".

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I never said RE4 was Survival Horror either, I mean, I loved RE4 and I liked Dead Space a lot (though I haven't finished it yet) but they are action focused games wrapped in a horror package. I would only classify old-school RE as survival horror (RE 0 through 3 plus Code Veronica).

In my opinion, RE4, RE5 and DS are action horror games, they are interesting because they are much more intense than your typical shooter and the sense of being overwhelmed (especially prevalent in RE5) is definitely interesting, even if it's not exactly "fear", plus they build a great atmosphere and ambience that simply does not exist in shooters like GoW.

I'm dissapointed people don't like RE5 controls, if RE5 had the controls of a run and gun shooter like Gears of War it would be extremely generic and boring, not to mention extremely unlike Resident Evil, even considering how different RE4/RE5 are from classic RE already.

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

But, you said this;
    After saying this;
    Now do you see my confusion? :)

Games like System Shock 1 and 2 were horror FPS/RPGs, but when it comes down to it, they could also be labeled as survival horrors.

RE was just Alone In the Dark a decade later. :eek:

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Awesome - lads its coming to the PSP and PS2 after all!

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That's not awesome at all, that only means one thing, "SHARED" assets. :(

12. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Uh oh! Does this mean that the game will be Silent Hill: Shattered Hopes for JackAxe?

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe, they might be developing the Wii version and just down port (like RE4) to the other systems. So long as the Wii remains the base version and makes use of its hardware (for a game other than 1st and 2nd party Nintendo titles).

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

We can only hope, but so far that has not been the case for any developer that I know of. So I'm not really expecting this game to be anything more than another WiiS2 game. =|

15. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Good news everybody, it's a REAL Wii game. It runs at the Wii's native widescreen rez 854x480, not that lame 640x360(480 with borders) that every other LAZY and CHEAP developer has been vomiting onto the Wii.