Silent mode doesn't mean completely silent...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patin22, Dec 2, 2007.

1. patin22 macrumors member

The timer feature on the iphone still plays the alarm even when the external mute switch is engaged. Found this out after pissing off a theater full of people when I couldn't get the Marimba alarm to stop. First of all it was in my coat pocket, which I couldn't reach easily. Then I tried flipping the mute switch off and back on and pressing all the buttons. I finally had to completely pull it out then slide the screen slider to get it to stop.

I don't know if this is a bug or something intentional, but I use my silent switch on a fairly regular basis - especially in meetings. Gotta watch it now! :cool:

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

A lot of phones set to silent will nevertheless sound an audible alarm that has been set. You just have to be careful that they will not go off during meetings or other embarrassing situations.

3. calculus Guest

calculus

Well an alarm you can't hear isn't much cop ...

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

So true, but perhaps vibrate would be a good compromise if the iPhone is set to silent.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

This is described in the user guide:
    When set to silent, iPhone doesn’t play any ring, alert, or effects sounds. It does, however, play alarms set using Clock.

6. patin22 thread starter macrumors member

I also looked it up in the manual when I got home. I think that is a bad choice. The alarm should vibrate like the rest of the phone's features when it's in silent mode. At least have a switch in the settings to turn it off.

7. gotzero macrumors 68040

I understand how it could be frustrating, but I love this feature. It allows me to ignore calls and texts when I go to sleep, but still helps to wake me up with the alarm.

Now if they would just make it so calls from specific numbers would ring, but everything else would vibrate or even go straight to VM.

8. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Fair point, particularly as the iPhone will not switch on and sound an alarm like some phones will when switched off.

9. patin22 thread starter macrumors member

Good point. A vibrating incoming call usually wakes me up, but not as well as an audible alarm. I still would like the ability to turn it off for meetings, quite meals and movies, however.

I would love to be able to filter calls like this. I'd send half of my contacts straight to VM! ;)

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I don't like that you can't choose alarm sounds without them being heard, even on mute. I like to set my alarms before I go to bed and I'm always waking the GF up this way if she's already asleep.

11. alFR macrumors 68020

Why not make a custom ringtone that's 10 seconds of silence and assign that to the contacts you want not to ring? Then if vibrate is on that's all you'll get for those contacts.

12. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I use my phone (Sony Ericsson) as my wake up alarm, but I don't want to be woken up by texts or stupid phone sellers, so silent except alarm is ideal for me.

13. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

hear hear. all those times i've taken a nap and set a timer... while on silent =)

14. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

the irony is that the alarm clock will not ring when you're phone is turned off...my SE would nevertheless turn the phone on and ring

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

I agree, this is a bit of a pain!

16. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

Yeah this is the hardest thing for me to get used to as well....I loved the ability of turning the phone off so I would not be woken up with someone's drunk call or text but I could still make sure I got up in time to go to work...my Nokia had that feature...then again I would rather have this iphone than have my Nokia back..

17. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

That's for sure! :D

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then what good is the alarm?
    It's not a bad choice, it's how most phones work.
    And there we have it. :)

19. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

There are phones on the market that will switch themselves on and sound an alarm that was previously set (see earlier posts in this very thread). That would be my preferred option, but failing that, vibrate is enough of an alarm for my purposes and should not disturb others.

20. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wouldn't an easy solution be to set any alarms to Off before going into theaters or meetings?

21. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

You do realize you can set the sound on any given alarm to "none"? Unfortunately this doesn't make the alarm vibrate... it just pops up a nonspecific alert.

As mentioned before... the alarm doesn't switch to silent because it would be useless for what an alarm is intended to do... wake you up no matter what. It's nice to be able to have everything else not disturb you at all hours of the night and still be awakened while traveling so you don't miss a 7:30am meeting.

Also, a clock alarm is designed to wake you up. Why do you have alarms set in the middle of the day when you should be using calendar reminders which DO vibrate when the phone is set to mute?

Are you taking frequent naps or something? :D