Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pamar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
I noticed that the haptic vibration is inverted for the silent mode. in iOS 1-12 you get a vibration for exiting silent mode. in iOS 13 you get a vibration when entering silent mode. I hope this is a bug as the point was to know when you accidentally set your phone out of silent mode.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
As in the physical silent switch..? If so I always got a vibration on every device on every iOS when switching to silent since I dont know how long.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
If you have your phone to vibrate on silent mode, there is feedback when you switch on to silent. If you have vibrate off on silent mode, there is feedback when you switch off of silent. If vibrate is off on both modes, there is no haptic feedback at all.

It’s been like this for a fair number of years I think.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you have your phone to vibrate on silent mode, there is feedback when you switch on to silent. If you have vibrate off on silent mode, there is feedback when you switch off of silent. If vibrate is off on both modes, there is no haptic feedback at all.

It’s been like this for a fair number of years I think.
I have vibrate enabled for both modes, but switching from one to another (or vise versa) doesn't result in any vibration -- just a screen notification in iOS 13. I also have system haptics disabled (enabling that does give me a quick vibration when switching to silent mode, but not the other way around).

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have vibrate enabled for both modes, but switching from one to another (or vise versa) doesn't result in any vibration -- just a screen notification in iOS 13. I also have system haptics disabled (enabling that does give me a quick vibration when switching to silent mode, but not the other way around).
I'd say this is expected behaviour considering the silent mode feedback is a part of the system haptics. Turning off haptics results in no feedback at all, turning them on gives feedback under the situations in the previous post.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd say this is expected behaviour considering the silent mode feedback is a part of the system haptics. Turning off haptics results in no feedback at all, turning them on gives feedback under the situations in the previous post.
The part about system haptics seems to make sense, although I'd say that changing to or from silent mode is something beyond haptics really and would still make sense even with haptics disabled (given that there are still other areas where there is some vibration type of feedback for something or other even with haptics disabled).

That aside, it doesn't seem like there's a scenario where there's feedback (not counting the new visual ones introduced in iOS 13) when you are switching from silent mode, only to silent mode.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The part about system haptics seems to make sense, although I'd say that changing to or from silent mode is something beyond haptics really and would still make sense even with haptics disabled (given that there are still other areas where there is some vibration type of feedback for something or other even with haptics disabled).

That aside, it doesn't seem like there's a scenario where there's feedback (not counting the new visual ones introduced in iOS 13) when you are switching from silent mode, only to silent mode.

There's definitely still feedback (just tested it) when switching to silent mode if you have 'Vibrate on Ring' on, but 'Vibrate on Silent' off. Which kinda makes sense, I guess.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of silent mode feedback not being part of haptics, though I have a feeling that's only because it's one of the only ways the 'legacy' vibration feedback was used on older iPhones, and we're just not accustomed to the new definition of what is a system haptic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.