Silent Movie Fans

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BasicGreatGuy, Sep 20, 2014.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Are there are any silent movie fans here on MacRumors? :) If so, what are some of your favorites? Do you look forward to Sunday nights on TCM?

Some of my favorites in no particular order...

1) Wings

2) City Lights

3) The Crowd

4) The Big Parade

5) Gold Rush

6) Greed

7) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

8) Modern Times

9) The Wind

10) The General

11) Safety Last

2. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm a fan of movie history. The key is to find a restored version that isn't 6 generations old. You need patience, but some of the old nitrate silent prints are beautiful to see.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I wonder if someone will ever discover a print of "London After Midnight?"

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

One of my personal favourites is an all-time classic. I couldn't believe how spellbindingly brilliant it was (given how old it was) when I first saw it in a university art-house cinema the best part of a quarter of a century ago as an undergrad.

The movie is 'Nosferatu'; and it is amazing.

5. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I saw this when I was 14 and it really scared me. It may have been the antiquity of it. I wonder how theater audiences first reacted to it.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, to be honest, I doubt if the fear you describe was generated by 'the antiquity'.

What stunned me when I saw it was how extraordinarily good it was - the sheer mastery of of the art of complex and nuanced story-telling that was evident; this is a film - movie - which is ageless, actually. It is disturbing and frightening precisely because it is so good, not because of its age, which actually became irrelevant as I lost myself in the story told.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am not a silent movie buff/fan per se but enjoy from time to time watching them on late night TV when they show.

Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy to name a few. There are of course some serious films and sometimes I am amazed at how well they tell a story given the short comings of the medium (equipment/film) at that time. In fact, I rather watch silent 1-2 reelers rather than some of the pathetic music videos of today.

At times, I find it interesting to see movie stars in silents that we more associate with talkies such as Joan Crawford.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I love TCM and the classic movies and I've watched a few silent movies as well. But I just can't seem to 'get into' them. :(

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've always loved some silent movies and was surprised to see them on TCM. I'll watch them from time to time.

Most Charlie Chaplin movies of course are quite good but if I were to say what my favorite was, I'd have to go with Metropolis

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've watched Metropolis a few times, and enjoyed it, but it is quite long though.

11. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I can understand that. Not all of the ones that TCM shows are ones that make you want to keep watching.

----------

It is a good movie albeit rather long. If you haven't seen the Blu-ray release, check it out. It is excellent. Kino did a great job.

----------

If you thought "Metropolis" was long, "Greed" (can be found on iTunes) and "Napoleon" (look for the Kevin Brownlow release) are even longer.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its not technically a silent movie (there is a musical score and sound effects - but no dialog as such) but I've always loved the Jacques Tati classic M. Hulot's Holiday (Les Vacances de M. Hulot).

Hilarious in an indescribably French way, this is a classic for anyone who's ever loved France, or the French, And still a masterpiece of cinematography. (How the heck did he get that paint can to bob in and out of range on cue?)