Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Any suggestions here? My finally had my silent switch fall off my 3G (it's actually less than a year due to a replacement) but I'm out of warranty and it's jailbroken. Do I take it in to the Genius Bar as is? De-jailbreak first? Or am I screwed even if I restore and take it in?

Just looking for some advice from someone who's gone through a similar situation...

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
if it's out of warranty sir u are out of luck.....

Figured as much, just didn't know if anybody had had any luck with this stupid design flaw. Would they replace it for a charge? Or is it too much work and not worth the effort?

Ericatomars

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Chicago IL
even if it was still in warranty, jailbreaking it voids that warranty. Make sure whatever JB apps you used to change things go back to those apps and change it back before you delete them if not they might not change when you go to de jailbreak. If it works and they can't tell then it looks like its gonna be $199 to have replaced. Good luck

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Step 1. Restore as a new phone, do not sync music or apps.
Step 2. Go to an apple store
Stpe 3. Fork over $199 + tax
Step 4. go home
Step 5. re-jailbreak

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Was definitely looking for repair options vs. $199 for a replacement. I've still got the switch and was able to stick it back on, but it'll definitely fall off again.

Oh well, suffer through until it's upgrade time I guess.

Thanks!

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
That happened to me (mine wasn't jailbroken). Here's what I did:

Step 1. CAREFULLY apply a drop of crazy glue and re-attach
Step 2. Enjoy

It's just a phone. I'll probably upgrade next year and pass it along to my son. It really wasn't worth the hassle of getting it replaced for something that a drop of glue fixed. And it still works perfectly.

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
That's definitely option B for me. Just wanted to see if Anyone had any luck going through Apple before I made the attempt at the crazy glue solution...

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Restore as a new iPhone and take it to a genius. Worth a try to see if they'll replace it outside of your warranty anyway. What are you gonna lose?

Failing that, replace it yourself. Very easy process if you can carefully open it without tearing any ribbon cables. The switch itself will cost a few £/$ and will take roughly 10 mins to fit.
Just be warned that you could damage your device further doing this if you're not careful.

Good luck.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
That's definitely option B for me. Just wanted to see if Anyone had any luck going through Apple before I made the attempt at the crazy glue solution...

dude crazy glue will work perfectly fine! my vibrate/sound switch feel off about 5 months ago, i repaired it with (drumroll please) black finger nail polish that i found around the house. i have the black 3g so i wasn't worried about colors ***** up or anything. it has worked perfectly since then. im quite surprised actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.