Silent switch not staying on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Primus84, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Primus84 macrumors 6502

I've noticed recently that the silent switch on my phone is not staying on, it seems easier to push back to noisy mode than before. As a teacher this has embarrassed me in front of class once so far.

Two quick questions:
    1. Is this a known fault or one experienced by others?
    2. My iPhone has some scratches to the screen/chrome bezel but none anywhere near the silent switch - will Apple use this as an excuse not to replace/repair the phone?

I've had my phone replaced once before after 2.2 stopped the phone from making calls reliably and then they just swapped it for a new one at the genius bar, if they agree that the switch is faulty would they want to send it off or would it again be a straight swap?

The reason I'm asking this before going is my nearest genius bar is a 4 hour round trip away so I need to know if it's worth my time and travel costs!

Thanks!

2. travistaylor macrumors regular

I don't know anything about the replacement process, buy my First Gen iPhone has the same issue. Every now and then the switch will seem to short out and just buzz out of control.

I don't know why... but it does. So, you aren't alone. I would assume that mine does it because of a small dent in the aluminum backing that almost seems to keep the switch from being flipped all the way... but it's tough to tell because it doesn't do it all the time.

3. Primus84 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Primus84 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. actorkid macrumors 6502

different genius' react differently in similar situations....

basically what i'm saying is, the only way to find out if theyll replace it is to talk to a genius and hope he/she is understanding (and not a d*ck)