Silent Toggle Switch isn't working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cobie454, Jun 22, 2009.

1. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

Ok so this morning as I'm getting ready for class to start I switch my iPhone silent switch to silent, and it doesn't switch to silent mode instead the iPhone vibrates and switches between silent and regular mode and when its on silent I still hear the lock/unlock sounds and all the alerts are not silenced. Has this happened to any one? seeking explanations or where to go from here.:mad:

2. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Settings> Sounds: Toggle "Vibrate" to "On" underneath the "Silent tab".

3. cobie454 thread starter macrumors regular

cobie454

i think something is wrong with the hardware. the phone is in silent mode but I still hear all the alerts and lock/unlock sounds. when i put my finger on or near the switch it works fine but when i take it away the switch acts up again. HELP!!!!

4. Moretonbj macrumors newbie

Mine isn't working either

Mine isn't working either, but I'm having a completely different problem. My ringer, keyboard clicks, text alerts, sleep sounds, or unlocking sounds aren't working. I still have sound from alarms, timers, iPod, but none of the actual phone functions. If I toggle the silent switch it doesn't vibrate when toggled into silent mode, nor does the sound image appear when toggled out of silent mode. I have done soft restarts, and have even restored my phone a few times. I have messed with everything in the sound options under settings. NOTHING is helping. I've even read that there is a bug with the headphone jack that can cause sound issues, so I've plugged and unplugged headphones in several times to see if that fixed it (it didn't). The only way I know I'm getting a call is because it is still vibrating. Otherwise, I'd miss every call. Please help!!!!

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

OP you will need a new headphone jack cable. it controls the mute switch, volume controls, head phone jack, and the on/off button. but if your lucky when the phone is opened up by someone who knows what they are doing your actual switch may be broke or lose and then you can just replace it.

second guy I have never heard that the headphone jack controls the clicking sounds :confused:. but it is possible. if so you would have to replace the headphone jack cable as the OP if you have in fact checked all of the sound settings. you can find them in settings/sounds.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Im not sure who you are talking to but the headphone jack issue is very well known and almost a daily occurence.