Silent Update After an Event?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BRyken, Jan 27, 2010.

1. BRyken macrumors 6502

Has Apple historically ever done an silent update after a media event, without mentioning the product during the event? Is there still hope for new MBP's today in your opinion?

2. LastZion macrumors 6502a

keep dreaming... and praying

3. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

This!

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

All signs point to "no". I don't remember them ever doing that.

My guess it will happen some Tuesday in February.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There, I fixed it for you :D

6. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

they're going to be released next friday actually.

i asked steve to wait until my birthday.

7. cuse7284 macrumors member

The real question is

In the past, has apple ever released an update (like the one we want for the mbp) within a few weeks of a large release/announcement (like the one we had today)?

I need a new laptop bc mine died. I'd wait a few weeks but not a few months...

8. BRyken thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. But I don't think I can wait much longer. I sold my old original MBP 3 weeks ago in anticipation of this update today and currently I'm taking an online class (my own fault). I think I'm just going to go to Apple store today and pick up a MacBook Pro 13" 2.53. I can't justify waiting much longer for a 20% speed boost from the new processor.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I can't help but laugh. Even funnier because you have a number of external drives in your sig and no computer to run them on.

10. Bumble Bee macrumors member

11. BRyken thread starter macrumors 6502

My bad for having to much faith in Apple...

12. BRyken thread starter macrumors 6502

I've yet to hear anything otherwise...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

13. LesQQmorePewPew macrumors member

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

14. BRyken thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your contribution, its been helpful.

15. nomnom macrumors newbie

This made me LAWL. Glad we still have some humour here.

16. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Depends on the task. In single threaded applications the speed boost is ~20-30%. In multithreaded benchmarks I've seen numbers ~40-50% increased. Very task dependent.

17. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

No No No No

THERE WILL BE NO SILENT UPDATE

Why?

-intel i5 alone deserves to be introduced
    -new graphics introduction
    -new display introduction

Keep in mind, it is not a small update of the laptop that most of us love so much.
    There MUST be a huge presentation, since it is going to be a completely new macbook pro. Silent update would only hurt Apple.

I can already see Steve going while holding macbook pro: "Four CPUs in that small Box. [double clicking on finder] BAM! Do you see how fast it goes!? Boom! You see? [click] Boom! Can you believe it?"

Stay tuned, I'd say :D My heart tells me MARCH :(

18. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

newbie stands below your name and a noob you are.
    ignore this post if yours was ment sarcastic

19. ammusk macrumors regular

I disagree with you. Your reasoning is wrong.

Have you forgotten the silent update for the iMac, Macbook last year?

The Intel Core i5,i7 was added to the Mac lineup then and if it didn't warrant an update at that time, what makes you so sure they'll do it now.

Even the graphics and display was updated at that time.

20. xxplosive1984 macrumors regular

Great point! I actually find some comfort in that. LOL. :)

21. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

They never did a silent of macbooks Pro, because they are their flagship products in the computer line.

Imac was never a bigger hit than macbook pro, but I dont know the current sales stats.

You can go to ebay and look at how many products are avaialbe for macbook, mbp, imac, mac pro. Macbook pro is always in the front. iMac number are high right now, because many are switching to 27 inch one. But usually mbp outnumber imacs by 2x. Plus, being more expensive than Imac, it is the reason to have presentation for mbp

I know the ebay info is dependent on many factors etc, but you can find your own sources to prove things. I like knowledge :)

I would say, we wait!

the ONLY reason to have a silent update would be the attempt to push customers of computers to ipad, but I dont think it will be a hit.

22. FnuGk macrumors regular

there is the question what they are gonna do with the gfx card as nvidia are not allowed to produce chipsets for any new non c2d cpu thus it wont have 9400

23. Hexero macrumors regular

Since i'm new to Mac, last time the MBP got updated (which was in June/July?), did they hold an event back then?

24. bluefox9er macrumors regular

if i remember right, apple never made any public announcements about the latest imac and macbook refresh..they just showed up on the apple site.

25. Rogzilla macrumors regular

What? They have done silent updates to the pros. Wasn't the last one? And the MacBook and iMac silent update in discussion also introduced other new products like the Magic Mouse. There was a lot of new things released, certainly enough to warrent an event.

The thing about this, however, is that the blogs (Engadget, Gizmodo, ect) knew about the update and had working models. I beleive Apple was trying a more viral way of announcing products instead of having a big press event. I imagine those are expensive and it might just be easier/quicker to send trial models to the reviewers.

The truth is we don't know how Apple will do this. They may just be planning a big event or they may just sneak them out one day.