Silicon Keyboard covers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lippymajor, Jan 19, 2009.

1. lippymajor macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Does anyone have experience with the silicon cover from KB Covers? Do they interfere with the air flow or cause the computer to heat up?

2. titaniummd macrumors member

I bought one for $6.99 on Amazon Marketplace. It stays on the buttons of the keyboard but I wouldn't trust it against spills.

http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Prot...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232396572&sr=8-1

I don't know if it fits any better on the older macbook pro but it is a decent, if not perfect, fit.

No overheating since just the keys are covered.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I had one on my PowerBook for a couple of weeks. It was way too much hassle and didn't feel good to type on at all. As far as it serving its purpose, yes it does but not against spills, it is not a perfect seal.

4. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Tried one and it really had that rubbery, mushy feel; if you're into that sorta' thing...:(

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Silicon? That would be quite the expensive keyboard cover as elemental silicon. Silicone is a rubbery polymer made up of silicon and multiple other elements. That is your useless information for the day.

As for keyboard covers, I thought about getting one for my Aluminum MB since the keys rub off and you get a shiny black left over but I decided against it. The covers can make typing less responsive and can be a pain.

7. isaki87 macrumors regular

Do you guys know if there are any that are worthwhile keyboard covers for the unibody pro and unibody macbook? My primary cause for concern is dust.

On another area, how bout anything for the sharp edges on the lower portion of the wrist rest. I already have the moshi palmguard.

8. ndstrenge macrumors regular

I have a keyboard cover for my mbp. Aevion? or something? Sorry I can't remember. It was also the cover for the MBA, same keyboard.

It'll keep dust out, but I take it off when I have work to do because I hate typing through it.

9. applgeek macrumors member

I got one for my white macbook 2 years ago from kb covers. I liked it, it saved my butt more than once. Since you cant easily replace the keyboard like a pc, they are great if you like to eat around your laptop.

10. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

http://www.zcover.com/zCover_index_for_Keyboards.htm

zCover TypeOn Keyboard Skin APKNB Series fits on...

It is compatible with the Apple MacBook (13-inch late 2007 MacBook or previous MacBook )
    It is compatible with the Apple MacBook Air
    It is compatible with the Apple new 13-inch MacBook
    It is compatible with the Apple new 15-inch MacBook Pro
    It is compatible with the Apple new 17-inch MacBook Pro

zCover silicone skin are crafted from non-toxic, durable high-grade silicone rubber. It is safe.
    Ultra thin (0.6mm) skin touch feeling, durable,
    Made of 100% high grade silicone,
    Full shock-absorbing, tear-resistant protection,
    Molded to specifically fit every point,
    removable easy on and off for cleaning,
    Stays in place and does not shift around,
    Washable - you can wash zCover silicone typeOn skin by hand. Make sure it's dried out before put it on your keyboard.

[​IMG]

Plus the invisibleSHIELD for the sharp edges & track pad protector:

[​IMG]

11. lippymajor thread starter macrumors newbie

Silicon Keyboard covers

Thank you for the information.
    My main interest (beside protecting the keyboard of my new Macbook Pro 15.4") is because I need a foreign language on my keyboard.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, sorry about that but this is one of those areas where the major companies that make silicon keyboard covers are going to cater to the U.S when it comes to printed keys on the cover. Since these are U.S. companies are the covers are not made to order and they are pre-made in the factory they could easily get overstocked on non-U.S. printed keyboard covers since they are not the most requested product. It wouldn't be to their advantage to make anything other than U.S. printed keyboard covers.

13. lippymajor thread starter macrumors newbie

Silicon Keyboard covers

KB Covers do sell a silicon cover with the foreign language I'm interested in.

14. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Personally I'd recommend the Moshi ClearGuard. That's what I have.

15. CountPollen macrumors member

keyboard covering

Hi,
    In my experience my MBP runs a few degrees more hot than wihout it.
    I do find it annoying to type large amount of text with it on.
    Further I noticed that the cover leaves traces of the "keys" on my matte screen.

Although it will protect your keys from grease wouldnt really recommend it to anyone, expect when working in "dirty" environments.
    I only use the keyboard cover when I'm doing lab or field work and my hand could have chemicals or dirt on them.

16. isaki87 macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, I just ordered the zagg invisishield for my UNI-MBP and UNI-MB, and I got them for 50%off, because they issued a promo code at macworld that expired yesterday(SHOWSP09), however, if you call their 1-800 number and place the order, they'll apply the discount for you.

I dont know what to do with my moshi palmguard for the pro...:confused:

17. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

You can always give it to me:D

18. isaki87 macrumors regular

Depending on how the Zagg kit works out, its a possibility.

19. eron macrumors 6502

20. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Lol. Just placed my order for that 2 days ago. Or 3. Can't remember exactly. Do the keyshapes fit 100% on the keycaps? or is it made slightly larger to facilitate easy usage?

21. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Whoa, the Moshi is by far better than the iSkin. I agree fully with eron on the typing, which is the most important thing for me.

22. genexrocket macrumors regular

I just placed my order for this :D Seems like it's the best/thinnest one. Do you notice if it traps in more heat and does it leave smudges on the screen when you close the lid??? Thanks.

23. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

i have heard different answers to these questions so i would like to hear interpretation of more who own this product as well.

24. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if you can get that Moshi cover for UK keyboards? Me want.

25. -Gin- macrumors newbie