Silicon Or Leather Apple Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by loon3y, Oct 19, 2014.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

Im getting a wallet case, and a mophie case when it comes out for the 6

but i want a slim case just when i don't need to use a wallet case or a mophie

i saw the complaints and the tear that the leather one has.

so should i go with the silicon?

2. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

i want a smooth soft case, not like the rubbery ones because it collects lint.

3. blaugrana69 macrumors regular

Had both, returning the sillicone one. Marks easily and a real lint magnet, I also prefer the "feel" of the leather, personal preference I suppose.

4. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I've loved the leather one for about a week now. Funny thing, I bought a TPU perforated case from Best Buy while waiting for the Apple Leather case to be shipped and I go back and forth between the two...love em both. The Best Buy one is by Insignia and was just $14.99.

After a week with the Midnight Blue iPhone 6 leather case, it has some small scratches which is to be expected with the material. I'm pretty forgiving over this as I like the wear and tear that leather cases pick up. Gives them character that plastic cases just can't garner!

Here is the link to the Best Buy case:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-perforated-case-black/8451331.p?id=1219334913007&skuId=8451331

5. mcmul macrumors 6502

Silicon. Much prefer the feel and texture over the slippery leather one.

Also, I have dropped the iPhone Plus around 3-4 times so far... survived every one. #InvestmentPaidOff

6. plastiksmoke macrumors newbie

I have a leather case coming for my 6 as well, I don't normally uses cases because I had the bumper on my 4/4s and it left marks around the phone. I'm trying to avoid that this time around.

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I returned the silicon one after one day. As others have mentioned, it's a huge lint/grit magnet. It felt like garbage after half a day of normal use, in and out of my pockets. It's not that easy to clean, either.

8. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Get the silicone case, believe it or not after about 2 days of use, it picks up the oils from your hand and daily usage and it loses that lint magnet factor immediately. The Apple silicone case is not like most silicone cases.

Take my word on it, when I first got the black silicone case for my 6 Plus the lint was driving me CRAZY. However after a couple days of use, it gradually went away and after 2 weeks my case still has a nice grip to it but it doesn't pick up ANY lint at all.

The leather case is very unforgiving unless you have black. It stains easily and picks up blemishes.

You just have to break it in, and the people who returned it, I don't think they got the chance to do that! :)

9. Leejaymes macrumors member

Stuck with this decision too.

Chose the red silicon, hope I don't regret it!

10. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

The red silicone case looks awesome on a black phone.

I actually find the leather provides a better grip for me, because I frequently adjust the phone as I hold it in my hand, and the silicone was actually TOO grippy for me to do that easily. It would also sometimes snag when I pulled it out of my pocket, something that the leather case never does. Also while the leather may seem to have too little grip at first, once it's absorbed some of the oils from your hand you'll likely find it very comfortable.

11. Leejaymes macrumors member

Yeap, using the space grey phone, that's why I went with the red case.

Chose silicon over the leather as I used to have leather for my 5 and I hated how it aged. Hoping the silicon would serve me well this time without the discolorations etc.

12. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I have both the black leather and black silicone and I find them both awesome in their own ways. I've settled into the silicone being my daily user and the leather for the weekend. As others have said the silicone is not sticky like rubber but more silky feeling and haven't found it to attract lint. The leather does show wear more easily but that's to be expected. Both are sufficiently grippy with the silicone being the grippiest. You can't go wrong with either.

13. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I now own both a leather and silicone case as well. The leather case feels really nice in the hand with less bulk than the silicone. I never had a problem with lint on the silicone case.

My own feeling is that the silicone case probably offers a bit more protection as it has a little more bulk and would possibly take some absorption from a drop. But that said I'm going to use the leather case as my main case as it does slide in and out of pockets easier and I really like the slimmer feel it has.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The leather ones do scuff pretty easy so that's the down side of them. They do feel amazing in the hand.

15. AE14 macrumors 65816

Returned both. The leather is very frail unlike the 5s one, and the silicone (as mentioned previously) is a lint magnet. Just really didnt like it at all.

Currently using the Incipio NGP, and everytime I try something else, I come back to the NGP

16. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I have both the olive green leather and green silicone. They are both great. I don't find the green silicone to be a lint magnet at all. No out of the ordinary wear and tear on either of the cases.

17. johnnilcru macrumors member

johnnilcru

I'd go for leather all the way - you can find very different kinds of cases in genuine leather, and not all of them are fragile. They also last longer (unless it's reinforced plastic) and they age elegantly. One of the few top notch brands that come to mind are Sena, Vaja and Lucrin.

In my opinion, they differ as follows:
    Sena cases are thicker. Provide additional protection but can be hassle for trying to fit in a pocket. Currently under pre-order on their website.
    Vaja offers more covers rather than sleeves. Very practical as well, but they have a pretty hefty price.
    Lucrin has a wide variety of sleeves, and the customization options are really cool. It is relatively thinner than sena cases, but does not fail when it comes to practicability.

18. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Silicone case for me, it's not cheap eBay type silicone and while it's overpriced at $40 I don't have any problems with lint or it getting dirty. Plus it won't wear like the leather case will over time.

19. Kimball macrumors regular

Anyone's seen if the olive green and blue leather ones shows wear as easy as the red one did for iPhone 5? Im using the black on my 5, and its as new even after 1 year of use, but Ive been curious about these 2 new colors!

20. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

i was at the apple store for the second time and i ended up getting the silicone in red. I had originally gone in with the plan to get the leather

21. madanagopal macrumors member

Sorry to hack the thread. I picked up a like new apple leather case on ebay for my apple iphone 6+. I got the apple store receipt from the seller as well. Can i exchange for a different color at the apple store.

22. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

Got the green at the grand central apple store this weekend. Love the feel of it.

23. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

24. victoriani macrumors member

Have midnight blue leather case. Love it. Had it almost three weeks now and it's a little darker where I hold it most but I love that look. I had the silicone originally but the lint drove me nuts. And I had it over a week so it wasn't like I didn't give it a chance.

25. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Just curious about where the lint was accumulating for you with the silicone case?

For me lint seems to gather around the screen edges in the lip of the case with both leather case and the silicone.