Silicone or leather for iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMister111, Sep 13, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68010

Got a pre-order in for a silver 6, I currently have. 5S and a red leather case which I really like.

Which case is going to be best for the 6? The silicone or the leather? Only thing that bugs me on the leather on my 5S is how dirty it gets. Will the new 6 ones be the same? Will the silicone be any better to stay cleaner?

Trouble is leather is available 1-3 days, silicone is 3-4 weeks. I really wanted one ready for when my 6 comes on the 19th.

Anyone help.....

----------

Mods please move to accessories please, sorry

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

3. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

I went with leather as well. Midnight blue for my space gray 6+.

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

That leather is pretty pricey! Is it really thin?

5. e3lysium macrumors newbie

I originally ordered the pale blue Apple Silicone case - but then thought about how I liked the worn in look of the previous years leather case. I cancelled and ordered Product Red Leather. I like the look of it (compared to the other leather cases) set against the black front of the (Space Gray) 6.

6. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

It looks really thin. I assume it's like their leather iPad Air case which is thin.

7. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Curious to know from people who previously had the leather case for their iPhone 5S how the leather protected it from an accidental drop.

I bought the midnight blue for my 6+, but I'm a bit worried. I bought a cheap $12 silicone case for my 5S (was only meant to be temporary, but use it all the time) and I've dropped it at least 3 times on concrete surfaces and it absorbed the fall perfectly.

I don't mean to drop my phone, but you know, sometimes it slips out of my pocket, though with the size of the 6+ it probably won't.

8. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I personally picked up two leather cases from Apple. A midnight blue one for the lady's silver iPhone 6, and a dark olive brown one for my own gold iPhone 6. I think I the color combinations will look good.

The silicone cases came in colors that did not appeal to me. And on Amazon there weren't enough cases for me to reliably choose from [yet] anyways.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Picking up a clear silicone case as a backup for now..... want to show off the gold.

10. BrulesThe1 macrumors newbie

11. MasterChat macrumors member

I would choose a leather case because it looks manly.

12. fanchee, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Silicone or leather for iPhone 6

Both for me, I like to have color options! One red leather and one pink silicone.

I had a red leather on my 5s and dropped it getting out of the car. It put a nice gash/mark on the corner that took the brunt, and my phone was undamaged. I was pleasantly surprised and will be buying another leather one for my new 6 Plus.

[​IMG]

13. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I went ahead and purchased a leather case this time. I had the black leather on my 5S. About a month a go I was getting out of my truck when I dropped the phone. Was about a 3-4 foot drop. It landed screen first. I thought it was done. To my surprise, it was fine. The case was a little nixed up, but that's it's job. So I didn't mind. That experience lead me to purchase another one. I know there are many cases out there, but having a good experience lead me to be a repeat customer.

14. e3lysium macrumors newbie

I have dropped my 5S a number of times and oddly it was thrown (not by me), and the leather case protected it superbly! The only misgivings I have about the newer cases is it's a little too open at the bottom for my liking, but sure it will be fine.

15. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I wish they had a nice tan leather color. I'd buy that. The brown one they have is an awful color.

16. techspin macrumors 6502a

If I chicken out of going naked, I'll pick up the black or blue leather case. I've seen leather cases for the 5S pick up stains like nobody's business, but the black one wears well.

17. sap12690 macrumors 6502

I just wish the red leather cases looked better after some use. I had to take back my 5s case because the red turned black on the edges and it just looked so gross and dirty.

18. anthonybkny macrumors 6502

anthonybkny

19. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the experiences with the leather case guys! I'll sleep easy knowing my phone is protected :p

20. wvuQuentin macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

The colors are washed out but the black is on my personal 5 and red is on my work 5S. My wife had the red one but hated how it wore so I took it. I'm an engineer at an engine and transmission plant, so my hands are often dirty when out on the shop floor. I don't mind the red one, but the discoloration doesn't suit the red, IMO. A more natural color (tan, brown, olive green) does a better job with the wear. My black leather case clearly looks great. Both have worked well for drops as I have a 2 year old child that likes to snatch the phone and run with it.

For our space gray 6s, my wife got the pink silicone case hoping that it will wash up well and I went with brown leather. I'm also planning on doing the Sport Watch in space gray with a black band for workouts and work with a brown leather band for dress.

21. mhdena macrumors 6502

The leather is great

If you don't want to worry about dirt, get black.

22. conan-kun macrumors regular

I have the leather case for the 5S and it's worked great. I haven't had any big drops like some of the other ones listed here but it has worked for smaller drops on carpet and tile.

My midnight blue iPhone 6 leather case just went into preparing for shipping so looks like I'll have it in time for my phone delivery.

23. callea macrumors regular

callea

24. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

So looks as though will wear the same as 5S one. I love the colour of the Red on a white fronted iPhone but the colour discolouration as others have said is bad. The red goes dirty to a black, rather than wear.