Silicone or leather ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SYMPATHY2, Jun 14, 2015.

1. SYMPATHY2 macrumors newbie

what do prefer most? I am debating on getting the silicone apple case or the leather.

Leather or Silicone which color?
    What Do you prefer? I can't check in the shop cause it's in a sealed box and can't open.

Looking forward to your vote and your reasoning why one is better then another.

Thanks so much!

2. tsevince macrumors regular

tsevince

Not as an endorsement but I hope I can help with my video review of both, but in summary, I'd go with the silicone, it's cheaper and much more durable than the thin layer of leather which degrades quite quickly as many will let you know. You can check out my reviews here:

SILICONE:

LEATHER:

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. Donoghan macrumors regular

Donoghan

Black leather here, and 6 months later it's still in great shape. My wife's brown one shows the normal wear/darkening, but my black one is pristine. Highly recommend. Personal taste of course, but I was not impressed with the silicone ones in the store. The leather ones, especially the black, are top notch.

5. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

Navy blue leather. I love this case. I've never used the silicone version, but I don't need to.

Leather all the way!

6. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

I have the brown leather one (about 6 months now) and its held up ok. I treat it like any other case and you can see some scratches and some marks on it. But I really like how the edges have aged.

7. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I have both silicone and leather cases. If you're getting the leather make sure to get a dark color as they tend to wear better. I prefer the leather.

8. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

Neither. Leather wears out in a matter of DAYS with normal use, and the silicone attracts lint/dust like crazy (not to mention, it feels a little odd).

Look for a nice, simple TPU case.

9. c1phr macrumors 6502

I got silicone and returned in within a week or so because it was getting covered in dust going in and out of my pocket (and it really didn't slide well). I exchanged it for leather which I love. It does wear, and I have the red one which emphasizes it that much more, but I like that.

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Both the Apple leather and silicone cases are precise fitting and give better grip to a slippery phone. The protection is minimal for both cases but both provide about the same amount. Beyond that it's all about personal preference.

The leather is slimmer and lighter weight than the silicone. It is more delicate than the silicone and will scratch and wear in. The leather shows less wear in the darker colors.

The silicone is a bit heftier and I would imagine it would provide a bit more protection than the leather. The silicone does have a tendency to pick up lint and dust but it also cleans up well. I've had the white since November and it still looks like new. This case also gives the best grip although tends to develop a slimy kind of feel - kind of like skin after you put hand cream on.

I have the silver and white phone and my favorite cases for it are the white silicone and the black leather. If you like the way leather breaks in and is not perfect - then go for the leather.

Most folks rate the leather higher than the silicone.

11. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I have a black leather case for my 6 Plus and love it. Have had it for over 9 months and still looks excellent.

12. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I almost picked up another leather case today. The red one. I just couldn't justify the $44 again.

13. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Been thinking about picking up another one but in midnight blue. Idk, same here. Price is just too high to buy it again.

14. GAUG3 macrumors member

Brown leather. I look forward it to age like my 20+ year old leather front pocket wallet.

15. SYMPATHY2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. glad to see your comments

I bought the midnight blue today.
    (I debated between the Leather and the white silicone cover,then someone said in the store that the silicone collects dust and lint)

16. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

17. arholmes22 macrumors newbie

I first ordered the green silicone case but after seeing the brown leather in the local Staples store I sent the silicone case back and am loving the brown color.

18. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I had a total love fest with my white Apple silicone case but you know how it goes - "maybe there's a case out there that's even better". So I tried the super thin cases, some thin clear or frosted TPU types and then made my way back to the Apple cases and specifically the black leather case. Initially I had some unusual damage from wear - indentation from flipbelt seam and fraying edges/ corners from taking the case off and on. As much as I complained about the problems with the leather case, I really liked the look, feel and thinness of the black leather. I ended up doing some exchanges and will now happily use my black leather and just leave it on the phone.

For the iPhone Plus the leather just adds enough grip to make the phone less dropsie. It weighs less and is thinner than the silicone. Okay so I'm back in a love fest but now with the black leather. I can see why it is the favorite in the polls and reviews.

19. SYMPATHY2, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015

SYMPATHY2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I love the thinness of the leather case,
    It's very expesnsive case here... it's cost 290NIS (something like 75 Dollar)

a friend have the silicone one, it's grippy in the hand, i notice it's attract lots of fibers and dust

20. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

My wife's leather case as well as mine have held up great the past 6 months. I would still like to find one similar but with full coverage.

21. rpetunderclass macrumors regular

22. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I tried so many cases, looking for a thin mimimalistic case and the Apple cases were my top favorites. I like the leather as it is slimmer and lighter than the silicone case and doesn't add a ton of bulk to my Plus. However the leather is just too delicate for me. I'm pretty careful with my iPhone but always had to think about where I set down my phone - not on anything that might cause an indent or scratch and having to make sure no water or moisture. My Apple leather case would get scuffs and fraying on the inside corners and edges from removing and putting back on. Also would get scuffs from my fingernails (which are short) from taking it out of my purse. So for me it's just too delicate - don't like the worn look.

I returned my black leather case to Staples and just for the heck of it looked at their cases. There I found my perfect mimimalistic black TPU case. It's simple but perfect for me. My long, long search is finally over - Seriously over - I'm one happy camper!