Silicone skin case

magillagorilla

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I went ahead and ordered the $5 one from Amazon. It had one review confirming that it actually fits (from a reviewer who had plenty of negative responses about other products). Figured it would hold me over until the price-gouging of early Ipad adopters ends. I need to get something on the back of mine asap, as my two boys can't keep their hands off of this thing (which will inevitably lead to some scratches if it is left unprotected).

I'll report back upon receipt.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
I got mine today and it fits nicely and the quality seems fine.....EXCEPT it has a really bad chemical smell. I'm soaking it in some soapy water to see if that helps, but I'm not sure why it stinks so bad. I hope it's not some dangerous Chinese chemical or something, lol.

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I got mine today and it fits nicely and the quality seems fine.....EXCEPT it has a really bad chemical smell. I'm soaking it in some soapy water to see if that helps, but I'm not sure why it stinks so bad. I hope it's not some dangerous Chinese chemical or something, lol.
Could be Remember the Smelly Evil Dead "Book of the Dead" release from a few years back..toxic.

WPerry66

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
I bought the following silicone case off amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CU6GJO/ref=oss_product

The case is junk, save your money and buy a more appropriate case. The sides which are supposed to sit flush against the screen stick up about a quarter inch allowing dust & debris to get under the case, essentially negating it's purpose. Luckily I only spent about $10 for it with shipping.

After about a half hour of trying to get it to fit correctly I broke down and bought the OEM Apple case. I figure that in order to get a proper case you're just gonna have to break down and pony up a few extra bucks...
:apple:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Silicone case from HHI is junk. It's going back. The cutout for mic is off and bottom section fit is not good. You get what you paid.
I bought Belkin $50 case instead and quality is big difference, cutout is perfect, even the speaker cutouts are perfectly aligned. Quality is excellent. Watch out for these cheap silicon cases from China, well they all are but some of these manufacturer probably didn't even have real iPad to design these cases. They just made from spec.

ipadder

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I preordered from Cimo Cases and they must have designed from specs but it fits nicely. Guess I got lucky :x

Silicone case from HHI is junk. It's going back. The cutout for mic is off and bottom section fit is not good. You get what you paid.
I bought Belkin $50 case instead and quality is big difference, cutout is perfect, even the speaker cutouts are perfectly aligned. Quality is excellent. Watch out for these cheap silicon cases from China, well they all are but some of these manufacturer probably didn't even have real iPad to design these cases. They just made from spec.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
Yep, I had to go with the Belkin too. Pricey, but at least it's not junk like these HHI cases are.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
How about these zCover and the SGP cover skins, they look pretty good at HHI
http://www.handhelditems.com/ipad-accessories-ipad-cases-c-7631_7659.html

Lots good reviews on those HHI silicone skins on the page, but I am planing to get the zCover, because I saw their iPhone product at apple store and which was pretty nice.
Not sure, they all look good on pictures but it's a hassle to buy stuff online and try them on. I got sick of it and bought $50 Belkin case at Apple store. Worth every penny.

magillagorilla

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I went ahead and ordered the $5 one from Amazon. It had one review confirming that it actually fits (from a reviewer who had plenty of negative responses about other products). Figured it would hold me over until the price-gouging of early Ipad adopters ends. I need to get something on the back of mine asap, as my two boys can't keep their hands off of this thing (which will inevitably lead to some scratches if it is left unprotected).

I'll report back upon receipt.
The cheap AMZ case is a definite pass. Floppy fit.