Silicone vs Leather Case for iPhone 6+

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Considering #bend-gate and relative durability, liquid-resistance and maybe even sticky-ness (for not sliding around on a table or dashboard). What is the general consensus on the two :apple: cases?

Anyone out there with both cases? Any insights?

Thanks

-----------------------

sooooooo many other threads on this sorry

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Considering #bend-gate and relative durability, liquid-resistance and maybe even sticky-ness (for not sliding around on a table or dashboard). What is the general consensus on the two :apple: cases?

Anyone out there with both cases? Any insights?

Thanks

-----------------------

sooooooo many other threads on this sorry
I've got the leather one for my 6 and I love it. It looks sleek, professional, and adds a negligible amount of bulk to the phone.

My wife has the silicone for her 5c and she likes it, but after a while the silicone started to degrade and is now peeling from the edges where the case and screen meet.

No data on long term durability of the leather cases, maybe someone with a 5s can chime in.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Tried my friends iPhone 6 silicone case, but it was too grippy and stuck to the inside of my suit pocket when I tried to take it out.

Got a red leather case for my 6 Plus and I love it. Matches my iPad's Smart Case too.

(This post is the first time typing on landscape on my 6 Plus... What are all these buttons!?! :p)

PegasusTenma

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
If the leather case it's like the one of the Iphone 5S DON'T BUY IT. It gets DISGUSTING after a couple of weeks, at least in the light colors.

chrise2

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
My only suggestion for the leather case would be to get a darker color one. My wife got the light blue leather case for her 5s last year and it got all dirty and gross looking pretty fast. My wife's not dirty. So don't go there. :)

bumfluff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
yikes! does not sound promising for either. i actually have never had a case on any of my iPhones, maybe thats a trend that should continue.

...unless incase come out with something radical

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I've got the red silicone case for my 6 Plus and I really like it. Its not the usual cheap silicone you find from eBay cases, its actually pretty much the same material as the iPad smart covers. Its grippy but like a soft touch kind of grippy, not sticky. I haven't tried the leather ones but I've seen pictures of the 5S ones and how they degraded so quickly so thats why I opted to try the silicone. So far its been good and it seems easy enough to keep clean by just wiping with a damp cloth.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I also have the Product [RED] silicon case.

I felt both the silicon and the leather ones.. and the leather ones felt more slippery to me.

I have a red cover on my iPad Air as well... so I'm happy so far with my red silicon case :)

dsi76

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
Silicone vs Leather Case for iPhone 6+

The silicon is a little thicker than the leather ones but it feels much better and is more grippy in the hands. Because the leather one is so thin, it makes the phone feel more fragile than it would be with the silicone, and I worry that I am going to drop it.

I had the leather case on the 6+ and I'd get stressed whenever I whipped the phone out of my pocket. LOL Almost the same feeling when using leather case with the 6 I am using now, so now I've gone with the silicone and am happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.