Silicrylic or Candyshell?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thadoggfather, Jul 7, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Which would you go for, assuming the Candyshell didn't have the glare issue that mine does (but will be corrected in a later production model). Is the Silicrylic thinner?

2. OzoneGTX macrumors newbie

I was seriously considering the Candyshell at first, but since I couldn't find one in stores, I settled for the Silicrylic and am quite happy with it. From what I've seen, the Candyshell looks like it would have been too thick for me. The Silicrylic doesn't make the phone that much bigger (not nearly as much as the Candyshell looks like it does) and feels pretty solid.

When I first got it as an emergency case, I wasn't too thrilled with it because of the soft silicone that collects lint and feels like it would stretch and sag pretty easily. And it didn't look as cool as the Switcheasy RebelSerpent I had for my 3G. So I was prepared to return it as soon as something better appeared. But it definitely grew on me and now I love it. The hard acrylic outer shell isn't glossy or shiny, so it doesn't scratch like a black Candyshell would. Mine looks just as new as when I got it. And the inner silicone case looks like it would protect it moderately well even if it didn't have the harder outer shell over it. It's definitely thinner than a stand-alone silicone case, but it works pretty well with the harder shell. And there are no problems pulling it out of your pocket like other silicone-only cases because the hard acrylic covers most of the silicone.

As for the camera, it doesn't interfere at all with my black case. Mine came with an extra yellow silicone case, but I haven't used it yet, so I don't know how that affects the camera.

But overall, I would definitely recommend it.

3. stranger danger macrumors member

I bought the Silicrylic only to keep my iPhone 4 temporarily protected. In my opinion, it's garbage. It doesn't slide in and out of my pocket with ease, it adds unnecessary bulk, and the gimmick is just cute. I'm still searching for an appropriate case.

4. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

CandyShell for me.

I had the Silicrylic in baby blue but honestly did not like the looks or the feel of it. I gave it to my friend who had dropped his i4 that had a bumper on it. he chipped the glass and got all paranoid and i told him he could have my Silicrylic. He hates it but is waiting for Incase to release the slider so its better than nothing. Its a lint catcher and it doesn't go in and out of the pocket easily.

CandyShell kinda turns your i4 into a brick. I don't mind at all. but its probably the best protective case out there right now. Once Otterbox releases the Defender than that will be the ultimate protective case.