silly (but annoying) mail problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by QCassidy352, Jan 10, 2008.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

A friend is having this problem: After deleting a message in mail, the view jumps to the previous (older) message, rather than the next new message.

On my mac, I deleting takes me to the next message, not the previous. I can't find any setting or preference difference that should be causing her computer to act differently (both are running leopard mail). Thoughts? Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it have something to do with which direction the emails are sorted?

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

No, I thought that too, but it happens regardless of the sorting. Thanks though; any other thoughts?

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Are you both working the same way? In other words, are you both in the mail app on the computer and/or both using webmail? Or is one on webmail and one on their computer? I find there are differences between the direction on the computer compared to the direction on the webmail.

5. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I too have this problem. I delete a message, and mail immediately moves to the prior message, rather than the next one. I have tried sorting my mail in different ways, but still have this problem. I have looked for a solution, but can't find. It's very annoying. Anyone know how to fix?

6. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Both of us are using mail.app on 10.5.1.

Hmm, interesting. What model mac, and what OS version?

7. sp3ctre macrumors regular

sp3ctre

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I love my Mac but this lack of functionality is driving me up the wall. I have searched the interweb far and wide but can only find this thread about it.

I have a feeling there must be a workaround because I'm sure I cant be the only one that deletes mail with "delete...delete...delete", as opposed to "delete... up arrow... delete... up arrow...etc.".

Cheers,

Jim

8. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I may be missing something, or it may be a bad solution, but could you start from the bottom of the mail list and work upwards then?

EDIT: I tried changing the sorting and it does seem to have an effect for me. Newest mail on the bottom deletes down, and newest mail on the top moves up. I'm using 10.5.3 so maybe it's a 10.5.1 bug.