Silly Eject Button Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by penter, Jun 22, 2007.

1. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

Hello,

I had been experiencing problems with my eject button for a while. The problem being that it would not respond when pressed.
    After a quick serch through the forums i could find nothing that really helped, so i just decided to tinker with it and kept pressing it continuously, holding it down and it finally decided to work.
    I found it to be, though, that the button only responds when held down for about a second, and not when quickly pressed as any other key does.

Now, down to the question: i would just like to know if all eject buttons on iMacs respond in the same way (only when pressed and held for about a second). I am running on an Intel Core Duo iMac, btw (if that really makes any difference).
    If not, could it be that i have "worn out" the button from continuous use and continuously (nightly) using the shortcut to put the computer to sleep??

Thanks in advance. =)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Perfectly normal.

This "feature" was introduced a few updates back to prevent the accidental ejection of a CD.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah... there had always been a delay on the notebooks, where the eject key is also the F12 key.

4. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

Well thank you very much! :)
    and thanks mkrishnan for always beign there when i have a question hehe

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

If you want an immediate response, press option as you hit eject. That works on desktops, i would presume it would on laptops, but not sure.

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

I love this feature! I don't know about you guys but i always kept clicking the eject buttona accidently. It used to drive me nuts! One of my favourite updates that Apple released (closely followed with the update that upped the max. volume).

7. penter thread starter macrumors 6502a

penter

yeah, the option + eject button command works just fine!
    oh, how i love MR... I get answers to the silliest questions of all hehe

8. aLoC macrumors 6502a

To be precise, it was added in 10.4.9. Before that you could just tap it, since then you have to hold it down.