Silly fresh install question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by klb028, Oct 24, 2007.

1. klb028 macrumors 6502

If you choose the option of "Fresh Install" when installing Leopard, do you personally have to clean out your hard drive or does it do it for you?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It automagically deletes everything and installs Leopard :)

3. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Lh'owon macrumors newbie

I was about to start a new thread, but I might as well ask here.

First post btw! :)

I'm going to be getting a new iMac (2.4GHz 20") this week which will come pre-installed with Tiger, but will come with the Leopard DVD (full retail of course). Which is pretty sweet, since that's basically two operating systems for free.

Now I want to install Leopard immediately, and a fresh install seems the logical choice since I won't be using the pre-installed Tiger at all. Is the following all I have to do to accomplish this?

1) Boot up the iMac into Tiger
    2) Insert the Leopard DVD
    3) Choose the fresh install option

Thanks!

5. snowy2004 macrumors member

BTW, It might have made more sense to make a new thread but I'll help ya anyway.

Since your Mac will be all new (and, as you said, you won't even have been using it) you don't need to do a fresh install. An upgrade should be sufficient. Plus a clean install would delete all the included non-OS-X software such as iLife; you would have to reinstall by yourself using the Tiger disc that came with your Mac (The OS X install CD).

Just do as Leopard guy does in the Leopard guided tour (it's at the end of it) or follow whatever instructions come with your Up-To-Date disc.

6. Lh'owon macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for that, I guess I'll just upgrade.

And next time I'll create a new thread ;)