Silly iPhone Q requires smart Audio peeps solution.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bobdobalina, Jun 14, 2017.

1. bobdobalina macrumors 6502

I am merely attempting to get a prerecorded mp3 voicemail greeting recorded into my actual voicemail account. This can't be uploaded--that would be way too simple. Patching a 1/8" to 1/8" cable from my laptop to my iPhone to play the mp3 while recording a voicemail greeting doesn't seem to work. When I try this, the iPhone mic stays active and records ambient sound.

Any ideas? Thank you!

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

What cellular network? Most likely that won't be possible as the greetings aren't stored on the phone, they are part of the cellular companies system.

3. bobdobalina thread starter macrumors 6502

Verizon. That's something I've been confused about. There is a built-in function to record a voicemail greeting, and you can also record a greeting via the carriers system. Either way, it seems that I somehow need to "play" my prerecorded mp3 greeting while "recording" a greeting.

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

You have to record it on the carriers system. Think of it this way, what if your phone is turned off, how will voicemail pickup? It is on the carrier side, not on your phone. You are just latching into their system with the Apple software.

5. bobdobalina, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

bobdobalina thread starter macrumors 6502

Also: I had a MixPre-D for a time. I tried plugging the mic level (TA-3) output into the iPhone headphone jack, and that produced some odd distortion--the iPhone didn't like that at all!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2017 ---
    Are you saying that if I go to "Phone" > "Greeting" > "Custom" > "Record" ... that will patch into the carriers system and leaving the recorded message on their system? Or no?

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

I believe it does... You may need to wait until someone with Verizon comes on. I don't even get visual voicemail where i live.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2017 ---
    Here is a chart that I found that might help.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/voice-mail-comparison/

It looks like when you select custom that it uploads to the Verizon system. The voicemail app on your iPhone is just an interface to their system.

7. bobdobalina thread starter macrumors 6502

Really appreciate it, thanks.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

No problem, I hope it helps a little. There may be someone with better info that might be able to give better info later on in the morning.

9. bobdobalina, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017

bobdobalina thread starter macrumors 6502

Still wrestling with this one. I also posted this question over in the iphone forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-prerecorded-voicemail-message-to-iphone.2051253/

It seems ridiculous, but the only solution I've found requires 'jail-breaking' the iPhone and copying the voicemail greeting formatted: "Greeting.amr" This has to be done along with some other specific steps. But the .amr file on the phone gets sent to the carrier at the end. Essentially, you use the record custom greeting on the phone to record for a few seconds (you're just making a file). After, DO NOT HIT SAVE. Then with whatever file browsing app you prefer, you access the greeting.amr file on your jail-broken iPhone, and replace the file with your preferred greeting file(must be converted to .amr first! good luck). Once you replace the file, you then hit "save", and your greeting message *should* be sent to the carrier. Very convoluted and the most backwards thing I've encountered in a long time.

For the time being, I bought an iRig2 audio interface for iOS and recorded the message from the .mp4 on my mac via the interface. It sounds... well, not as awful as recording from the speaker, but not great.