Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5216
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 5177
Amperage (mA): -1412
Voltage (mV): 12375
Cycle Count: 10

I've only had it about 3 weeks. Is the drop in capacity normal?

Should I not leave it plugged in? I know that batteries tend to give out rather quickly if you leave it plugged in all the time. Should I only charge when I need to?

Thanks.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
interestingly, apple actually lists as one of its recommendations for prolonging the life of a battery to leave it plugged in rather than running it down.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
are you using CoconutBattery? if not you should so you can monitor you battery health. by your number it seems you have 99% health, a bit of reading and you would'v find out that there is countless threads about the same thing.
your battery health will vary so no need to worry about it.
you can use it plugged and do a full discharge once a month if you like to.
your battery will deplete with time no matter what you do.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
you can use it plugged and do a full discharge once a month if you like to.
your battery will deplete with time no matter what you do.

Can you point me to where Apple or another trusted source says "do a full cycle/discharge on the battery"? I am about to take a look now, but from what I recall, Apple said this should not be done and was only appropriate for older batteries, but I am going to double check.

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Can you point me to where Apple or another trusted source says "do a full cycle/discharge on the battery"? I am about to take a look now, but from what I recall, Apple said this should not be done and was only appropriate for older batteries, but I am going to double check.

here

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.