Silly MP speed question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vansouza, Apr 24, 2008.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I was wondering about the relative speed of a new 8 core mac pro say running 3.2 processors with 10gigs of ram.... do bouncing dock programs bounce any less. Like in my MB OOffice beta3 takes about 14 seconds to present a spreadsheet. Would that be any faster on a MP? or is that kind of speed related to other issues?

Thanks...

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It will open faster, but maybe not hugely faster. I doubt that the computer will use multiple cores to open a program. The real gains are in more processor intensive tasks with programs that can utilized multiple cores/processors. If dock bounces are that big of a concern you can always just leave the program open and hide it. Then it will be ready when you need it.

3. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

many program start will be diskspeed-limited. Hard drives are getting faster and faster but at a much lover rate than CPUs computing speed.
    For a significantly reduced number of bounces you have to wait a couple of years for affordable Desktop-SSDs

4. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Add enough RAM though, and once you open/quit a program, subsequent opens will be instant.