Silly Noob Question (download speed)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ufguy73, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ufguy73 macrumors newbie

After some issues with the iMac, I am actually in the process of trying out a Mac Mini w/ 24" display.

I was downloading some simple 1080 HD movie trailers (very short, about 2.30 mins long) and it was taking quite a long time to download. I was wondering:

does the less powerful processor in the Mac Mini mean that it takes longer to download internet content, when compared to the iMac's? or is download speed a function of internet connection speed??

thanks!

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Download speed is going to be based on your internet connection speed.

Depending on how you have things hooked up (wireless/wired connection) speed could vary, but any difference in download speed from the iMac and the mini as a result of their processing speeds should not be noticeable.

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The server at which you're downloading the hd videos could also be very slow/bogged down as well.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Yah, what the others said.

You are having a download-speed issue, not a processor issue. The bottleneck could be anywhere between you and the server you're accessing. My money would be on the server. You might try running something like http://myspeed.visualware.com/ to ensure that your connection is solid and that you're getting good service from your ISP. If so--and this is the way to bet--then the issue is probably at the server. Try again in the wee hours of the morning when its load will presumably be lighter, might be a different story.

5. ufguy73 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks guys...

interestingly, i performed a rudimentary test. i downloaded the same HD trailer with my PC and then with the mac mini...

the PC took 5 mins to download, the mac 8 mins.

the downloads were done one right after the other.

it seems like a pretty big discrepancy - is it just the load that randomly would drive results like that (even if done within 2 mins of each other)?

thanks again

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Are they both wireless/wired? You never addressed that.

7. ufguy73 thread starter macrumors newbie

they are both wireless

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

first of all the how long it takes is absolute pointless ,as that relates direct to the server where that file is or to the server of your isp , and how busy they are at that moment , and when downloading from the same source at the same time you even create a bottleneck , because up to your router these files take the same way

even these speedtest programs online are only a rough indicator ,they can only give the speed you you get at about that very moment ,so if you do the test on different times again it will give you a different outcome

so to test the wireless speed of both you need to send a simple test file from your pc to your Mac via your router and vise versa and without a connection to the internet