Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quincer5000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
THis is a really silly question. Which camcorder would be better w/ video quality?
I am gonna get the hf100, but im wondering if the flip mino hd would be something that could be used just for a parent for home movies. Anyone have the 2 cameras and can test them?

Thanks,
Quincer5000:):D:):D:)

ChemiosMurphy

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Warminster, PA
Hf100 hands down.

I've seen test footage on vimeo of the HF100 and it looks gorgeous. The Hf100 is HD while the Mino flip is less than SD. You need a fast computer with lots of HD space since AVCHD footage needs to get transcoded to AIC or ProRes. Google it.. But the HF100 is the MUCH better deal.

quotemeas

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
How About This...

Kodak Zi6. Getting awesome reviews; HD; up to 32 GB of storage; no converting needed (records in .mov format). With the minoHD, your limited to 4GB of storage (about an hour of video) and must install a codec by running the built-in video app before it will work with iMovie or any other external editing app.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
The HF100 will produce better image quality, although both cameras serve different niches and are not even in the same price category. The optics on the HF100 are far superior to the fixed lens on on the Minio. It(Minio) records to a less than editable codec, H.264, but then again AVCHD, of which the HF100 records, has its own hurdles that are not necessarily difficult to overcome.

bki122689

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
The HF100 will produce better image quality, although both cameras serve different niches and are not even in the same price category. The optics on the HF100 are far superior to the fixed lens on on the Minio. It records to a less than editable codec, H.264, but then again AVCHD has its own hurdles that are not necessarily difficult to overcome.

second that. cannon makes the best cameras. better lenses and has more input and output options

DPA

macrumors 65816
I am undecided between the MinoHD, the Sony HDR-TG1 what you guys suggest?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=HDRTG1

They are not fairly comparable because they are in the same price range. The Sony is a far better camera to the Flip. The Sony record full HD which is 1080 by 1920, the Flip records in 720 by 1280. Both are widescreen cameras (16:9). The Sony has a memory card for recording which is replaceable in under 1 minute. From what I have read The Flip does not have a card slot. Quotemeas has made a great suggestion, the Kodak Zi6 is under the price of the MinoHD and has some great looking specs. It does record in 720 by 1280 (still widescreen, 16:9) but automatically records in H.264 (.mov) which will need no converting. If all here the same price I would recommend the Sony HDR-TG1, if will produce a better picture. Just to inform you,just because they are all HD cameras still limits them to amateur videography like home movies due to their lack of manual controls, sound output ports, changeable lenses and other specdification professional cameras have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.