Silly question, Easy to scratch?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by coffeeisgood, Oct 17, 2008.

1. coffeeisgood macrumors newbie

Alright, I know its a silly question... But my new Macbook is so fricken beautiful, I'm worried I might scratch it up? Is the glass/aluminum easy to mess up?

This is my first apple notebook (first notebook ever)... My only prior experience with Apple products have all been ipods, all of which could be scratch by even a slight wind.

2. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

3. dougnewman macrumors 6502

The aluminum should be far more difficult to scratch than the old plastic, which scratched very easily.

4. Purple Pelican macrumors member

No. I've used my PowerBook everywhere around the house, on the road.... My PowerBook is almost 4 years old, with no scratches except on the bottom of the casing. It's still beautiful. Fingerprints are usually more of a problem, so if you're worried check out the polish iKlear or something like that.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I wouldn't worry about the aluminum aspect of it much, that shouldn't scratch easily, but just make sure that you aren't doing anything with it that will lead to a true scratch, or just wear marks over time, but those things would be pretty blatantly obvious. But as to the glass, I think that it is currently too early to tell. If I were you when it comes to the glass, just don't touch it at all and give the screen a wipe-down with the microfiber cloth at the end of each day or two, just to get the daily dirt and dust off the screen. And when you open the screen, try just to keep your fingers on the rubber buffer when lifting up the screen. But otherwise, you should be fine.

6. kellte2 macrumors regular

already scratched the curved side of the top. Who knows how. Its more of a tiny lil dark spot, but in the right light, you can see faint trail leading there.

Oh well, we bought these things to use them, not to keep in a museum.

I'm pretty sure the metal, while still soft and scratchable, is not like that plastic they used on the old macbooks/ipods.

Enjoy.

7. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I got a tiny little scratch on the bottom of the case already. It was bound to happen. These new Macs don't have feet like the old ones meaning the bottom of the casing is almost touching whatever surface you set it on.

I want to buy some extra feet to place on the current feet to give it some extra height. I think I have seen other people do this with their MacBook Airs.

8. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I'm curious about how the glass screen edges will hold up when closed against the aluminum topcase. Seems like the glass will inevitably develop scratches around the perimeter. Am I missing something?

9. kellte2 macrumors regular

You're missing the rubber bumper that is in place to stop the glass from coming into contact with the aluminum body.

10. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Yeah, that white plastic (or black occasionally) is extraordinarily easy to scratch.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

My buddy got the new one 2 days ago and already has 3 scratches. He said he didn't do anything harsh to it either so going by his experience I would be very careful if it is a concern to you.

12. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I don't own a new MacBook yet, but I was just curious. I didn't realize there was a rubber bumper. Hopefully in a week or two we'll have some live models to check out here in Thailand.

13. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

There were a load of rusty nails in my back yard, so I started throwing my new MacBook at them to see if they'd scratch. The bottom and from the bottom right corner to the apple logo it all scrathced on it now.

NOT HAPPY!:mad:

Will apple take this back?

This was my first Apple Purchase and I probably won't be buying anything off the for a LONG time, if ever, after this. VERY Dissapointed, I was looking forward to this so much.

Please help me out here.

14. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

glass and aluminium are very hard to scratch.

15. kenned macrumors member

I've been using my macbook all the time since i picked it up yesterday morning, no scratches at all. Fingerprints stick to the screen though, alot actually, but the screen cleaning cloth that comes with it takes them off fairly easy.

16. Rob Philips macrumors newbie

You must be joking..

17. ec51 macrumors 6502

Haahaa

...of course Apple will take it back. Just make sure to tell them you ordered the 2.0 thinking it came with the backlit keyboard and you DEMAND a replacement. :rolleyes:

18. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Will they also replace my Air?

It came without a cd slot!!!