Silly question: How can i get OS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anewfoundsin, Jun 16, 2011.

1. anewfoundsin macrumors member

I am reading that people already have ios 5? I thought it comes out later thisyear? How can I get ios 5 now instead of waiting ?

Thanks.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It's been said over and over, but just as a warning, if you need to ask where to get it, you probably shouldn't mess around with it in the first place.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since you have to ask, you obviously aren't a developer, so there isn't any legal way to get it without paying to become a registered developer. And I wouldnt recommend that because it is beta software so it isn't stable enough to be usable for anything besides testing.

5. JASApplications macrumors 65816

This is the beta you are downloading though so quite a few features aren't fully working and there are a few bugs.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If this is your only phone and you really need to rely on it. My suggestion is avoid the beta. Its not all that stable and there's plenty of threads here asking for help to downgrade it back to 4.3

Basically if you have to ask where do I get it, perhaps its not the safest thing to undertake.

btw, only paid subscriptions to apple's developer program have the right to use it. Do others, yeah and how do they get it. Probably the same way people get other applications without paying for it.

7. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I agree with most of what is being said anewfoundsin.

While it is extremely easy to get the firmware itself, and almost as easy to find a risk-taking developer selling UDID slots (Google it), it's buggy, as most betas are.

You'll find quite a bit of high-horse arguments against people like me who go $50/$50 with a buddy every year to test the software, and that is a legitmate and mostly really fun endeavor. But as the previous posters eluded to, if you aren't the type to patiently battle with bugs and major issues, it may not be worth the momentary "Oh cool! I have Notification Center!" lol

Regards and good luck if you decide to take the plunge, but please, if you do, do it through your own developer account. :)

8. anewfoundsin thread starter macrumors member

okay got it! no i am not a developer and no i do not want bugs. lol.
    thanks for ur replies

9. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i want it real bad too, op. but like yourself, i am not a developer and if i got my hands on a beta id probably end up doing more bad than good. relax and it will be fall before you know it