iPhone 8(+) Silly Question(Maybe) - Car Audio

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheRealBigDaddy, Jun 1, 2018.

1. TheRealBigDaddy macrumors newbie

I’ve googled this problem and dig through iOS settings, but I can’t find an answer.

Anyway, I have an iPhone 8+ on my the latest release, but this happens on my wife’s iPhone 7 also. Whenever I am in the car I want my phone to connect to the in car Bluetooth so that I can take calls on the handsfree speaker in the car. The issue is if I let my son use my phone to watch something or play a game, the phone tried to export the audio through the car. Unless I disconnect the Bluetooth or switch the radio input to Bluetooth audio, he can’t hear anything.

Is there a setting I am missing?

2. chabig macrumors 603

I think the audio output is all or nothing. You can't route phone calls through Bluetooth while leaving the rest to be played through the iPhone speaker.

3. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I bet that this is an issue with the head unit, not the iPhone.

I have seen settings on head units to do BT for calls only, for audio only, or both. Not all head units have these options, but if they do, then the OP will want the call only setting for BT.

To the OP: it would be helpful if you tell us what head unit or what car you have if it is a factory head unit.

4. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

Try launching control center and 3D Touch on now playing and hit the airplay button and select iPhone.

It should play sound through the phone.

5. TheRealBigDaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

It’s a Sync3 system on a 2017 Explorer, if that helps.