Silly question: Powerbook keys on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amoda, Jan 26, 2013.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I'm pretty sure it's probably a no, but I thought I'd ask. I've searched but can't come up with a proper search result.

Is it possible to install the powerbook keys on a rMBP? I know that most people love the new keyboards, and maybe it's just nostalgia, but I'd love to put the powerbook/early MBP keyboard on rMBP and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible.

Thanks for any guidance!

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Probably possible, just no one really bothered trying it. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

3. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

Probably not possible since they aren't the same shape or size. I'm staring at my PowerBook right now and I highly doubt you could get the square keys to fit into smaller, rounded, and individually spaced keys on a MBP. Also, rMBP don't have dedicated power buttons anymore.

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

No the rMBP uses a chiclet style keyboard that they introduced with the Macbook Pro - this is a different style of keyboard to the old Powerbook keyboards.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Strongly doubt it, the powerbook styled keys are bigger.

Should they fit in the spring retainers, you wouldn't be able to press down on them, making them completely useless.