Silly question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfilm, Nov 19, 2007.

1. macfilm macrumors regular

This may be a silly question but is all the internet free in the iPhone (EDGE, Wi-Fi, GPRS)??

What additional costs can you expect from using your iPhone other than the tariff costs??

Cheers

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Yes, with this specific rider in relation to wi-fi: Access to your own router or one that you are permitted to use (such as a friend's) is obviously free. The only chargeable wi-fi that comes free, (or to be more precise, included) on the O2 contract is through Cloud.

If you want to use BT Openzone, for example, you'll have to pay extra.

3. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

Ok cool, so I there's no way that I can be charged for the internet on my iPhone without knowing it right?

Cause my mate has an unlocked one from the States and he says he pays 8 quid a month for the EDGE network....but thats just cause he's on a different networked and unlocked etc etc, right? I think thats why I'm confused with it lol

4. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't know about the UK contracts, but if you take a US phone that is on AT&T out of the country you get charged very hefty data fees. AT&T has a package that makes it somewhat cheaper, but still quite expensive. Since the EU is open for the most part I expect things may be OK there until you come to the states or anywhere that your carrier does not have coverage. I would definitely check into that before going somewhere outside of your country and getting a big surprise.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

- use of wifi is free
    - use of edge depends on the tariff (monthly fee) of your phone service / contract
    - you can turn off edge, that's recommended if you are in another country / roaming / etc.

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

all edge is free on all 3 contracts, there was a cap but it was removed before launch.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

...assuming you are within your roaming area.

8. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so if you go abroad you will/may get charged for use of the internet right?

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

You will, unless you can get access to free wi-fi somewhere.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Even if you're getting free wifi access somewhere, your phone may continue to access the cell network anytime you disconnect from the wifi, thus charging you high fees.

You have to make sure you power down the iPhone every time you leave the wifi coverage.

11. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Good tip. I've made a note of it for my next foray abroad.