Silly threads filter please.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by the vj, Apr 24, 2007.

1. the vj macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I was writting a question in the Apple Software section. I have a problem with "Pages" and I needed the people to take a look at it so I can get a quick reply.

The reason of this post is because then I find a thread asking "what's your computer name". I mean, don't we need the attention and resources for more important things?

I believe there is a "comunity section" where people with extra time in their hands can freely discus such things.

I just ask the moderators if they can give a bit of more profesionalism to the site image and put the kids on the side table and the adults with the adults.

Thanx

2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I don't think its much an issue at all. This site is professional. We have different topic forums, including a off topic one. Using the forum spy they all show up and it does not stop one from viewing your threads. Also you can limit the forum spy to specifically show the forums you want it to see.

I think your speaking more out of frusteration then anything else.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

From my memory, I believe it's all of our responsibility to report threads that we believe contravene the rules.

If you think something needs to be moved, then report it, suggest it, and if someone agrees with you, they'll do it. If they don't, they'll ignore it.

The mods don't see every thread or post, except for jsw.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Hi...I just posted a reply to your Pages thread...hope I can help or at least clarify the problem so it can be resolved more quickly when someone with more expertise in Pages see it.

The thing to remember is that of all the members on here, the ones with experience with the program your using or that might be able to help you, aren't online all the time We have jobs and errands to run, so it's not like everyone online was so distracted with the "What Is Your Mac's Name?" thread that we missed your post, but that those that saw it might not have had any suggestions to offer.

6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I'd venture to guess more of use PowerPoint then pages.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Was that a request for a silly grammar filter as well? :eek: ;) :D (P.S. it's Keynote, and not Pages, that goes up against PPT.)

Anyway, there are silly threads here, and I ask questions and no one responds to them, so I feel your pain, but... overall, the community here works for many of us.

8. the vj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanx TheAnswer, I will take a look.

BigPrince, of course is about frustration, what else could it be? I can't print what I was doing all night long.

But I was just pointing out something I saw, probably just noticing an issue.

Emw, if some one can go over something so trivial as: what is your computer's name (in this case) I believe that my coment has a more constructive direction.

Again, I am not creating a drama about this, just that seems way to silly such posts, that is all.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Perhaps, but if you spend enough time here you'll realize there are always going to be a number of inane "Post your lunch" type threads. In fact, sometimes those are the ones that help build the feeling of community.

While it's unfortunate that your thread got fewer replies than the Name Your Mac thread, it may simply be that fewer people here can help with your problem.

If a thread is truly trivial and deemed problematic, the crack moderator staff here will generally take care of it if it's reported. And sometimes even when it's not.

I still maintain that starting a thread essentially complaining that no one would dance with you because the pretty girl was at the punch bowl was silly.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So then ... who would decide what is silly and what is not, who's a kid and who's an adult. The moderators, as long as they agree with you?

This implies 2 things: 60/60/60/24/7 monitoring of the site, and a dictatorial moderation regime that could arbitrarily blow away someone's (maybe your) thread at any time

(and then the thread they open complaining about it, and their thread complaning about the mods, and then the thread they open saying they're leaving this %&*#* forum for good. Thats a sequence we have seen played out a number of times from particularly clueless ex members who thought the world revolved around them)

11. BigPrince macrumors 68020

my bad. As you can see I know very little about iWork.

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I don't see how someone posting something like "what is the name of your hard drive?" makes them a child and someone who can't sit at the adult table? I am 40 and a school principal so I would not categorize myself as a child. (although my wife might say otherwise!:D ) While I don't always have time to check out the "fun" or "non-constructive direction" threads, I enjoy them when I do have time.

Sometimes I come to MacRumors to be helpful, sometimes to learn more about my Macs, and sometimes to just relax and not think too much about life!

While I agree that thread you noted should have been in "other mac topics" or another fourm category, it is difficult to get 104,000 members to all post in the correct places and follow all the rules we have here at MacRumors!

MacRumors is a VERY professional site- and is in fact "run" as much by the members as anyone else really...we all try to do our best to "police" the threads. There is a reason we have 104,000 members...not just the content, but the great community as well!

Except for one time, I have always received very quick responses to my questions, sometimes gettinga solution within 30 minutes or less. You also have to understand that when people post replies to questions here they are almost always very thorough replies with thumnail screen shots of how to do something, very descriptive instructions, etc, which takes quite a bit of time, expecially when one does it for multiple threads at the same time.

I am so appreicative of this web site and enjoy some part of it each and every day!

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Hi VJ,

Nobody is paid on MacRumors to be your own personal tech support. If you need immediate tech support you can call Apple and/or you can visit their official support forums.

Yes, occasionally the "post your 12" 1.33ghz iBook g4 WITH iCurve setup" threads get a little dumb. But I don't think MR has a mandate to be only filled with useful information.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this thread is silly. :rolleyes:

seriously, you need help. you posted. people who can and will help will get to it. if you answers quicker go to a dedicated tech support service. there is a lot that MacRumors more than just a tech site for so many people. its a community. and these 'silly' threads help make up the whole of MacRumors.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

While some threads may be silly or posted in the incorrect subforum, that's a matter of opinion mostly. I think the bigger issue is people posting threads on the same subject repeatedly. People don't do enough to search for a thread that deals with their subject before posting a new one, not that I have never been guilty of this myself. Part of that problem, but probably only a small part, is that the search tool doesn't have advanced features, so when you search for two or more keywords, it doesn't just give you posts or threads that have all the keywords entered. It's an either or.

16. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

This thread is officially silly, and is wasting the Mods time, because they have to read it. Thus, under your proposed "Silly Thread Filter" this thread should be deleted.