Silly time to buy in UK now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmouthboyo, Mar 21, 2013.

1. bmouthboyo, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

bmouthboyo macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have decided I will be going for the 15" retina MBP. I need it for August really where I will be taking it with me abroad. In theory I could wait until then to buy it, however I would like it earlier if it is no sacrifice.

Can I ask peoples thoughts in buying now opposed to the new range / processors in July. Is now a silly time to buy? Secondly have the UK prices dropped recently like the US or is that to come and hence worth waiting for?

This is a big investment for me, and I do not intend to upgrade every year or so, I hope this to last me at least 4 years. I will be using it for Autocad, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, HD Video editing (captivate) and programming (Java, Python). I come from a PC desktop background but it is not possible to have this where I moving to. I must admit I am skeptical and not fully sold on this dream machine Apple fans seem to praise it to be but I do know its a well built unit and holds it's value well.

lastly is there any way to ensure I get the samsung screen not LG?

2. B..., Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

Haswell has some glitches that Apple may or may not implement their own solution to soon. It will be released in June in some small numbers, so expect the new Macbooks from August to December. Haswell will bring better thermal management, better battery life (maybe), better iGPU, and maybe quad core 13'. If any of those sound very appealing to you, wait. If not, don't.

Haswell might also bring cheaper prices on the retinas and/or more base SSD storage.

3. Aecasorg macrumors newbie

I was kinda in the same situation before. I come from a PC background. Used them since 1995. I was also anti-Apple. That was until the rMBP 15" was released last summer. It was the perfect laptop. Well, in my eyes. Decent sized screen, very slim and at the same time powerful. I finally bought one last month (early 2013 model, 2.7Ghz, 16Mb, 512Gb) and I must say, what a machine! Sure, there are some small niggles that you miss when you come from PCs but it is just nice that everything just works! I installed Parallels so that I can run Windows 8 in OS X and also on Boot Camp. Best of both worlds. Sure, it is an expensive machine, but it is seriously the best laptop I've ever had. Also the latest updates have solved almost all the small niggles it had.

As to buying now, well, it depends how much power you need in terms of CPU and GPU. The CPU wont have that much more power but supposedly better power efficiency. The dedicated GPU will be better if you need that. However, as it stands at the moment it is good machine. Also if you need to work on it in August, if you buy one now you'll have lots of time to get used to the system and get time to get the setup that you need and that works for you.

Mind you, if you want to stick with PC and get a very good similar computer, there is always the new Samsung Series 7 Chronos 15" that is both cheaper and slightly better GPU and has a touch screen to boot.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your choice!

4. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

The prices have been adjusted here too.

I think it's highly unlikely that the Haswell models will be out in time for you so if you want it now then now is the time to buy. If you wait and have to buy it then the new one is released shortly afterwards, you'll feel robbed. If you buy it now, you'll have several months of use before the new one.

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Buy now, it will give you time to learn the OS, the difference Haswell will bring will not be a huge impact performance wise Intel have already stated this. Those looking at the 13" Retina might want to hang on as this will likely benefit the most due to the stronger iGPU.

Stop obsessing about the display, it`s simply a downward spiral; think about it logically all Apple`s venders have minimum criteria to meet and QC. Apple really needs to remove the ability to question the hardware it will put an end to many of these pointless questions/threads.

The reality is that all happens is people begin to doubt perfectly good hardware, looking for fault where it does not exist, in this case both displays are fantastic for a portable, if you have any issue Apple will take care of it.

6. bmouthboyo thread starter macrumors member

I just heard apple say its normal to have ghosting etc. I would prefer not to have any ghosting and it seems the samsung screens do not have this issue. This is not a small amount of money so want the best.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It is the best laptop, by far. Who cares if you have a screen problem - your warranty will sort that out in due course.

However, please don't follow the crowd here and actively look for issues. You can replicate IR on pretty much every LG panel by running a manipulative test, or you could just ignore the forums, and use your laptop. If you notice problems, then maybe there is one, otherwise just enjoy it.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Image retention (IR) in normal use is not acceptable, and Apple will deal with it, however as has been posted deliberately inducing IR is a totally different matter and has likely been the catalyst of many unnecessary returns. Both displays have slight difference due to differing technologies.

Just be warned many have had their experience of Mac & OS X tarnished by seeking the perfect Mac due to viral post on forums. Mac`s are like any other computer on the market; to be used, not venerated. Buy it, use it and don't get drawn into all the drama that surounds them it will only spoil the experience...

9. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Even if you buy now, it will likely last you a solid 3-4 years.

With regards to Java, there are some issues with Java 7 on OS X. However, I probably do different things than you so you may or may not encounter them. I also wouldn't let it stop you as there will likely be an update to fix them sooner or later.

Do note that with your intended uses, I hope you plan on buying the *best* specced rMBP (1GB VRAM, SSD, and 16GB RAM).

I think it takes about 30 minutes to an hour to learn OS X.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Some just want to point and click, post the odd remark, others go deeper...