Silly user protection in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by J@ffa, Oct 19, 2007.

1. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Maybe instead of 'silly user', I mean 'n00b'. Anyway... you know how lots of WTFness can be had for users who, in Tiger or an earlier OS, decide on a whim to rename their home folder and restart to find their settings gone, or decide to save space by dragging their 'System' folder to the trash? Well, has Leopard implemented any protection against such lunacy? I appreciate that for anyone to try either of these is liable to hose their development environment (or their main OS, for the brave), but I am curious...

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

4. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Man, who deletes their system folders, no matter what OS you're on? Jeez, come on buddy; I think Apple assumes its users are smart enough NOT to go poking around doing things they shouldn't be.

I know that Windows has a sign saying "DO NOT GO INTO THE C:\Windows FOLDER IT CAN BE BAD FOR YOUR MACHINE" but because of the way Mac has it set up with a home folder, there is close to NO REASON to start messing around with the System folders.

5. J@ffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

FFS. Why doesn't Apple do something about this? Not that it's that common, but for people who don't know any better there's no indication they're about to nuke themselves.

Honestly, I've seen both of the scenarios more times than anyone would think likely. It's just that to us here who are all to some degree 'power users', we know the home folder has special significance, but regular users, not illogically, see it represented as a folder and assume (wrongly in this case) that renaming it isn't a big deal.

To the guy above who mentioned Time Machine, though; W00T! :D

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The solution really should be for Apple to make it easier for users to set themselves up as Standard users and not automatically Admins. That would take care of all this nonsense.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

It at least asks you for your password before it lets you drag the System folder to the trash can, so I don't see how you can "accidently" do it...

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, at the point where you're passwording in to delete your System folder, where is that "OMG U R 2 STOOPID 4 TEH INTERNETZ" macro?

9. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Um closest I could find was http://snipurl.com/1secm

10. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Deleting your system folder is just stupid. You don't deserve a Mac if you do that.

However, renaming the home folder should result in a "this will f everything up" popup... I can see that. :eek:

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Absolutely. Most Mac users don't even realize they are running as an admin.